World Health Organization, Aden, Yemen
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The major expected outputs are technical support to Member States, strategies, action plans, work programs for work programmes on Expanded Programme on Immunization and evaluation and analysis of new vaccines and work plans and project proposals to implement vaccine preventable diseases and immunization programme.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provide technical support for the development of the Expanded Programme on Immunization plan in the assigned country(ies) and assist Member States through the provision of technically sound advice to strengthen the evaluation and monitoring of immunization activities.
- Support the Ministry of Health or other health related interlocutors in the country(ies) in planning and organizing vaccination campaigns.
- Develop work plans and budgets including resource mobilization for the work programme and follow up on the implementation of planned activities and ensure the availability of potent vaccines as well as the required equipment and injection materials.
- Analyze data and information on Expanded Programme on Immunization and provide feedback to stakeholders on the impact of newly introduced vaccines in the national immunization schedule of the country(ies) and submit project proposals for the extension of existing health-care networks and the strengthening the existing systems.
- Support research in vaccines, including the coordination of clinical trials of new vaccines of relevance to the countries.
- Develop programs for capacity building in the area of Immunization and Vaccine Development and the management and implementation of the related activities.
- Serve as a technical resource to the public concerning sustainable Immunization and vaccines as well as epidemics, pandemics and other public health emergency threats; respond to inquiries and provide detailed and technical information concerning related principles, practices, issues, measures, techniques and procedures.
- Develop and disseminate guidelines for evaluation of the impact of newly introduced vaccines in the national immunization schedule of Member States.
- Collaborate with Member States to transition WHO-supported vaccine preventable disease surveillance sites/systems to government-supported institutions.
- Liaise with national counterparts, technical departments at HQ and with donor and development partners (UN and bilateral) to harmonize recommendations on policies and strategies related to vaccine-preventable diseases in Member States and resolve issues or concerns and seek funding for new projects and work programmes.
- Represent WHO at various meetings.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: Advanced university degree in a Health-related science (medicine or public health) or human biology with specialization on immunization- or vaccine relevant areas.
Essential: At least seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of immunization and vaccine development programmes. Within this experience demonstrated professional experience at the international level providing support to Member States and evaluating vaccine preventable diseases and immunization programmes.
Desirable: First hand working experience in a developing nation.
- Sound knowledge of country level situations with regard to vaccine-preventable diseases and immunization programmes, their development and management with good understanding of relevant country needs, priorities and policies, along with WHO's policies, practices, guidelines and procedures in the related areas and ability to apply within the country office setting.
- Excellent knowledge of disease burden and surveillance for vaccine preventable diseases.
- Ability to conduct research and analyze results, identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations for clinical trials of new vaccines.
- Ability to review and revise policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Excellent knowledge of Health care systems and safety regulations.- Proven knowledge of technical aspects in the field of specialty.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.- Team spirit and time management skills.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of Arabic.
The above language requirements are interchangeable.