Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
- Closely monitor and report on on-going EU policies, programme and legislative initiatives relevant to the ILO mandate. Propose potential avenues, initiatives, evaluations and recommendations to the Office Director on the establishment of linkages and synergies for enhanced ILO-EU cooperation in identified areas.
- Support the Office Director in strengthening and developing relations with the EU institutions and the Benelux countries. Prepare presentations and speeches for the Office Director and provide support to protocol activities as required.
- Prepare technical discussion papers, analytical notes and reports related to the EU and Benelux countries on selected subjects of interest to the ILO. Provide technical input specific to the EU and Benelux Countries for ILO global reports and publications.
- Liaise with the constituents in the Benelux countries and provide them with the requested technical input and support, including representation in meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Participate in technical consultations, seminars and conferences organized by EU institutions and EU social partners; prepare summary reports of proceedings.
- Maintain a network and_ regular contacts with key individuals involved in issues of relevance to the ILO mandate within EU institutions, EU social partners and civil society organizations.
- Liaise with other UN Agencies regarding developments between the EU and the UN system. Take part in coordination meetings and working groups involving Brussels-based UN organizations and provide support for common events and activities, including reviewing for quality control and completeness ILO's input to UN reports, meetings and other documents.
- To report work undertaken within the relevant EU services and Benelux countries on matters of interest to the ILO in particular in relation to Areas of Critical Importance (ACIs), Policy Outcomes and Global Processes.
- Contribute to ILO-Brussels' publications and website.
- Perform other related duties as required.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Undertake research and prepare analytical reports on selected subjects within the area of technical competence.
- Assess country experience (on selected topics) with a view to identifying best practices in finding solutions to problems identified.
- Provide technical inputs (articles, reports) for regional, country or related sectoral analyses, ILO reports and publications.
- Provide technical backstopping, project implementation and monitoring.
- Undertake missions for the purpose of providing technical recommendations on selected topics following ILO established guidelines, manuals and standards.
- Monitor and coordinate research carried out by external collaborators.
- Act as focal point on a specific field of specialisation.
- Participate in training seminars and workshops as resource person.
- Represent the ILO Brussels Office at international, regional and national fora.
- Advanced university degree in European studies, economics, social science, political science, law or, international studies.
- Three years of professional experience in a relevant field and two years at the international level.
- Excellent command of English and French.
- Knowledge of Dutch would be an asset.