Technical Officer (Health Economics & Health Planning)
World Health Organization, New Delhi, India
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Universal Health Coverage (UHC) is a key target within the Sustainable Development Goal for Health, and one of three major goals in WHO's new 5 year Global Programme of Work, which has a target of one billion more people with UHC by 2023. Much of the progress towards that global target depends on accelerating progress in the South-East Asia Region. UHC has been a SEAR regional flagship since 2014. Helping Member States advance towards UHC requires improving their understanding about the concept itself, and also their knowledge of ways to overcome the challenges involved in ensuring people get the health care they need, without incurring financial hardship. Within SEARO, the Department of Health System Development is responsible for leading the work on UHC.
In order to support this mandate, the main objectives of the HEP unit are:
- Provide technical assistance/ backstopping to SEAR Member States and WHO country offices in health policy and health financing related issues, helping them strengthen their health systems in the route towards UHC;
- Provide training on UHC related matters, increasing local capacity for policy-making;
- Support the production of health financing related public goods;
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Under the overall guidance of Director, HSD and day to day supervision of RA-HEP, the incumbent will contribute to the following unit outputs/ activities:
- Support Member States policy-making processes in relation to strategic purchasing (40%):
- Planning Legislation on health Reforms (cross-sectoral, public finance management, decentralization) Review and development of strategic documents and national policies;
- Financing Health financing strategy development Provider payment mechanism reforms Benefit package design and implementation Public Private Partnership
- Co-facilitate regional events, including but not limited to (20%)
Production of WHO public goods (30%):
- Support TIP HEP in production of National Health Accounts of SEAR countries, including disease classification use expansion;
- Research on health financing: manage follow up with WHO collaborating centers and contributing to generate regional intelligence on health financing;
- Global reporting follow up, including SDGs related reporting and WHO workplans;
Administration requirements (10%)
- Submit an assignment report on completion of assignment (mandatory)
- Essential: Medical or social sciences graduate degree (economics, statistics, sociology or similar).
- Desirable: Master Degree in health policy, public health, health financing or similar areas of work.
- Essential: At least 5 years' experience in national level health policy making in low and middle income countries, including some years of international experience.
- Desirable: Experience in health financing research. Experience in producing, health budget analysis, provider payment mechanisms reforms, health facilities costing studies and national health accounts.
Functional Knowledge and Skills
- Health Planning: It is important that the candidate has been exposed to health sector policy-making at different levels. He/She has to be familiar with the Universal Health Coverage concept and on how to analyze health systems.
- Health budgeting/ costing: knowledge of health facilities costing tools. Knowledge of provider payment mechanisms in purchasing scheme setting.
- Health financing analysis: Experience in producing National Health Accounts, health budget analysis and similar.
- Monitoring: He/she must be familiar with the monitoring frameworks, their design and implementation.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Other Skills (e.g. IT)
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point and relevant web-based literature search engines.