Technical Officer (Information Management)
World Health Organisation(WHO), Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
Description of duties:
- Support the roll out and use of frameworks and standard tools for data collection, analysis, interpretation and dissemination including for monitoring and evaluation of outbreaks and disasters management action plans at the regional level for countries under emergencies.
- Support implementation of the information management functions as per the requirements of the WHO Emergency Response Framework at the regional level.
- Support country offices in critically assessing the available health resources and services using the adapted assessment tools for emergency and humanitarian actions
- Promote the adaptation and joint adaptation of standard multi-sectorial rapid assessment tools.
- Collaborate with the Emergency Response and Operations Unit and the Emergency Coordination and Support Unit to formulate information management solutions for sustainable and efficient reporting processes (i.e. designing Health Information System based on needs analysis).
- Generate routine statistical and analytical reports as required, by utilizing all available databases within WHO and other agencies.
- Establish contact with Headquarters (HQ), Regional Office (RO), Country Offices (COs), and staff from local, regional, and national health and governmental authorities, to provide expertise in the field of health information managements.
- Perform continuous monitoring of regional health situation and trends to facilitate timely alerts and action thresholds for emergencies;
- Support information management capacity building for emergency management in the sub-region.
- Conduct comparative analysis of lessons learnt from country experiences, and sharing good practices on issues of region-wide concern
- Support designing data hub to ensure the availability and promotion of relevant baseline data (hazards & risks) in the area of preparedness and risk reduction;
- Identify information gaps and evaluate existing information systems and support countries to further improve the information management in disasters.
- Essential: University degree in a health-related field social science, statistics or epidemiology with professional training in Health Information Systems.
- Desirable: Master's degree in Public Health, health statistics, epidemiology and/or information management.
Functional Skills and Knowledge :
- Demonstrated knowledge of health information systems with ability to identify and manage difficult situations.
- Excellent skills in the assessment, monitoring, analysis and evaluation of emergency health situations.
- Expert knowledge and skills in developing and using different tools of information management including Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and in developing decision-support and planning tools for emergency preparedness and response.
- Knowledge of the preparedness, risk reduction and response approaches.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively.
- Tact, discretion and ability to promote consensus.
- Excellent Presentation Skills.
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Essential: At least five years' experience in Health Information Management Systems in emergencies, outbreaks and in countries in emergencies. Experience in developing and promoting collaborative partnerships and/or experience in developing countries.
- Desirable: Experience in UN organizations/agencies, national and International institutions or NGOs.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of Arabic would be an asset.