Technical Officer (Response) - 2 positions
World Health Organisation(WHO), Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of the Post:
- To advise Member States and WHO Country offices in crisis situations and emergency management and support the development and implementation of operational plans for emergency response.
- He/she supports country offices in addressing the emergency response at local level.
- He/she will liaise with other technical departments and sectors on specific thematic issues relevant to the field of emergency response.
- Thereby, the incumbent will contribute to developing specific guidelines in the field of public health emergencies.
- Based on lessons learnt, best practices will be assessed to guide the formulation of humanitarian appeals and improve response mechanisms.
- The incumbent will be a member of the Regional Emergency Team and will work with various technical departments and units in the Regional Office as well as Emergency Sub- Units in the Country Offices to ensure the availability of best public health practices and guidance to respond to emergencies.
- Under the general guidance of the Regional Adviser Emergency Response and Operations (ERO), the incumbent coordinates the operational component of emergency response activities in specific countries across the region.
- He/she will provide a strong country support applying the available operational tools and adopting results based approach.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Adviser Emergency Response and Operations and in close collaboration with technical units in the Regional Office, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Provide technical support to WHO Country Offices (WCOs) focusing on level 3 countries; thereby assess, implement, monitor and evaluate rapid response operations in countries affected by emergencies or at risk;
- Identify public health priorities in both chronic and acute emergencies settings and monitor the erosion of health services (including aspects of coverage and accessibility) in the countries of concern;
- Develop and manage the strategic plan for operational partnerships at country level; review the project proposal including due diligence prior to submission for clearance to ERO and advise on the humanitarian planning exercise at the Country level;
- Plan the exit strategy early on and propose adequate hand over plans of the emergency program;
- Ensure that the emergency interventions allow for a smooth transition to recover, develop, implement and monitor the recovery interventions;
- Ensure streamlined workflow and communications with all actors involved;
- Collaborate with priority technical units on specific interventions, promote health specific interventions that are evidence based,
- Cooperate with the technical department of readiness and preparedness to improve the capacity to respond to emergencies by the WHO as well as countries;
- Liaise with relevant units in the Regional Office and WHO Country Offices to ensure the project proposal implementation meets the set objectives;
- Periodically review and evaluate CAPs and Flash appeals to ensure alignment with WHO checklist and relevance to country context;
- Design relevant curriculum and implement strategic trainings to ensure learning of best public health practice in the context of emergencies;
- Contribute to developing guidelines of evidence based best practices reviewing "lessons learned" and other technical guidelines.
- Essential: Essential: University degree in Medicine, Sciences and Master's degree in management related field.
- Desirable: Postgraduate training in disaster management, epidemiology / or public health.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to develop and implement comprehensive strategies of WHO to support countries affected by emergencies as well as to support the WCO in their effort to strengthen the health system at country level;
- Excellent skills in writing operational guidelines;
- Good knowledge of project cycle management and results based monitoring tools to guarantee successful implementation of humanitarian responses within the UN humanitarian context;
- Good knowledge of the global health mandate and mastering of the technical tools;
- Sound knowledge of field health operations and their implementation in emergency response situations in a public health context;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral;
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Computer literacy.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- At least 7 years of experience combined at national and international levels in health disaster management and/or health emergency response operations.
- Experience in project management and results-based management
- Experience in, international institutions or international NGOs.
- Experience in analyzing health policies, standards, guidelines and priorities for individual countries.
- Skilled in epidemiology is considered an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.