Technical Officer, Social Protection
International Labour Organization, Lilongwe, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
CO Lusaka is seeking the services of a Technical Officer – Social Protection to provide direct technical support and management to the above projects and contribute to their expected outcomes, under the overall guidance of the Director, ILO Country Office for Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique, and within the policy and procedural requirements established by the ILO.
The incumbent will report directly to the CO-Lusaka Technical Advisor on Social Security, receive additional technical backstopping by the Social Security Specialist of the DWT-Pretoria and by the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) of the global ILO-European Union Social Protection Programme based in the Social Protection Department (SOCPRO) in ILO headquarters. Technical inputs and support will also be provided by other colleagues in SOCPRO.
The incumbent will also oversee the work of national officers and any other international and local consultant hired during the course of the project.
Description of Duties
- Coordinate the delivery of technical cooperation support to counterparts in the areas envisaged in the projects work plans for Malawi, with a particular focus on social protection policy development, establishment of coordination frameworks and national dialogue;
- Under the supervision of the Director and Technical Advisor, ensure the effective management, timely implementation and reporting on project activities and budget programmes, as well as administrative and technical backstopping;
- In coordination with the ILO Office, DWCT and HQ, provide technical advice to social protection partners (inclusive of the tripartite stakeholders) in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project’s activities;
- Review and analyse country specific development plans and priorities, socio-economic data, reports and other relevant information to inform strategic engagement with Government;
- Coordinate closely, promote linkages and share best practices and lessons learnt with other relevant ILO projects in the region, ILO units and external stakeholders;
- Under the guidance of the Director and the Technical Advisor of CO-Lusaka, maintain close liaison with governments, workers’ and employers’ organizations, UN organizations, non-governmental organizations on a broad range of country programmes and projects.
- Maintain working contacts and collaboration with multi-lateral and bilateral donor agencies and prepare proposals for funding;
- Monitor and expedite programme implementation through discussions with technical, substantive and project staff, field visits, analysis of progress reports, and participation in reviews and evaluations. Prepare reports based on the information obtained as an input to corrective decision making and revisions;
- optional section (if needed)
- Assist in organizing trainings and workshops on aspects of social protection and in the design, preparation and implementation of training materials. Participate in workshops and seminars as resource person;
- Manage the design and implementation of research and knowledge creation activities. Leverage technical expertise in the social protection sector to support, national regional and cross-country knowledge development and knowledge sharing opportunities;
- Represent the ILO in Social Protection Development Partners Coordination Group;
- Promote ILO social protection policies in the related technical areas of the programmes in line with the relevant International Labour Standards; and
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- First level university degree in economics, social sciences, law or other relevant fields, with demonstrated expertise on social protection issues.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience and at least three years at the international level (or project related work experience), in the area of social protection policy design and implementation, resource mobilization, as well as managing technical cooperation projects.
- Key focus areas include experience with developing economies, extension of social security to the informal sector, establishment of social protection coordination frameworks, strengthening social accountability systems, as well as capacity building.
- Knowledge of Malawi context, and experience working with officials of ministries of labour, social welfare or finance would be an advantage.
- Excellent command of English