Purpose of the position:
Provide overall country office technical leadership and guide the strategy in education program execution, monitoring, reporting, planning and partnership processes in a manner that promotes continuous improvement and innovation in line with WV’s standards and guidelines and ensure alignment with the Government policies and strategies.
As a Technical Program Manager in WVU, he/she is responsible for operationalization of the Technical Program priorities. Provide overall leadership, oversight and management support for all aspects of Education Technical Programming in Operations Divisions. Ensure Technical Program implementation is managed effectively and contribute to Child Well-Being Outcomes in line with National Office Strategic Priorities and meets community and donor accountability in line with World Vision’s policies and standards.
Technical Leadership and Program Management
- Ensure provision of adequate technical support to education, gender and disability projects by technical experts.
- Provide leadership to advocacy implementation within Protection and education
- Work closely with the strategy and program effectiveness team for quality child wellbeing, annual and technical reports.
- Provide strong and positive leadership to the field Education Technical Program (TP) Officers ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained.
- Support professional and personal development of Education technical staff through on-the-job coaching, identification of learning and training needs and opportunities.
- Ensure that Education Technical Programme is managed and executed well as per plans within time, cost and budgets, meeting donor and community accountability.
- Provide support to the Regional Program Managers and Cluster Managers to monitor operations budgets, funding, expenditures and execution.
- Ensure Education Technical Program and all related projects achieve Child Well-Being Outcomes in line with the Organization’s Ministry Framework and Development Approach, and National Office (NO) strategic priorities and programme designs.
- Provide oversight of the Technical Program operational risk management, including ensuring timely responsiveness to issues that might compromise the effective implementation of the technical program.
- Contribute to the effective TP related disaster management and emergency functions, based on Partnership protocols and standards.
- Ensure that Technical Program field level programming contributes to national level advocacy strategies. Supports the TPOs and Program managers to have meaningful engagements with al partners across areas where the TP is implemented (especially Districts) for realization of TP objectives.
- Assess and plan for education staff capacities/competencies.
- Conduct timely training needs assessment among staff
- Facilitate capacity building of staff on education
- Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive protection and education technical program
Technical Program Planning and Implementation
- In collaboration with Regional Program Managers significantly contribute to the development of Technical program detailed implementation plan (DIPs) and key priorities of WV operations (short, medium and long)
- Develop a business plan for Education TP in alignment with strategy and plans of other departments.
- Ensure Children’s Sponsorship standards are adhered to in implementation of the Education Projects
- Takes the needs of Registered Children into consideration in the design and plans of Technical Plans
- Support the Regional Program Managers to develop budget for TP; provides rough budget estimates for each “Technical Project” implemented in each AP; Estimate national-level activity and operation budget; make plan for funding portfolio and coordinate with Area Plan to negotiate with SOs/donors
- Approve the technical Area Plans, detailed implementation plans for all projects/grants and approval of reports.
- Support the Associate Director Grants in Education Technical programs related grants start up and implementation
- Work with cluster/AP Education teams to provide support of Education grants and ensure the implementation is done in an integrated manner.
- Actively participate in grants reporting as well as reflection and ensures that projects are responding to the emerging issues in timely manner.
Technical Program Reporting
- Responsible for Education Technical Program baseline, Indicator Tracking Table (ITT) and activity monitoring, semi-annual and annual reports and evaluation of Technical Program.
- Ensures results of Technical Programme is measured by outcome/output indicator achievements
- Leads the Semi-annual and Annual technical program reporting and ensures child wellbeing impact is adequately captured and presented in a manner that is supported by quality evidence and scale.
- Supports the Area Plans related annual reporting on education technical projects and ensures that it conforms to support offices fiduciary requirements as well as donor promise.
Accountability and Quality Assurance for Model Implementation
- In close collaboration with Regional Program Managers, ensure provision of good quality services to technical programme implementation (Model fidelity) and in turn follow Partnership standards, policies and protocols, including all relevant sections of LEAP 3 implementation guidance.
- Support adequate quality assurance processes to ensure that programmes meet defined programme quality standards including indicator performance.
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as reflection, Operational and Finance Audits, Technical Programme evaluations, Technical Program Reviews, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
- Supports Regional Program Managers to adapt Technical Programmes for implementation at the local level
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces e.g. Senior Management Committee
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in education and a Master’s degree in a related field.
- Training or certification in Portfolio and/or Programme Management with accredited institutions such as PMI, or IPMA.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Education or Social services, protection; with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization. 5 years should have been at a managerial level.
- Excellent project management skills and good understanding of the project life cycle- PMD Pro1
- Experience with development project management tools such as logframes, monitoring and evaluation tools and budgets.
- Working experience or engagement with Ministry/department of Education, Social protection, Genders and Disability at National and County levels.in
- Strong experience is participation in Sector working groups
- Ability to engage at a strategic level with senior government, UN and INGO official
- Experience in supervision skills, including training, mentoring and supporting staff
- Must have some legal experience on issues related to education, protection.
- The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
- Knowledge of WVI working systems, policies and standards will be an advantage
- Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliable and dependable
- Excellent communication skills
- Networking and influencing skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to engage at a strategic level
- Good report writing skills is a prerequisite
- Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
- Good interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Able to work on a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
- Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes or similar database, email and internet programs.
- Ability to travel within country, regional and internationally.