UNCDF Financial Inclusion Practice Area (FIPA) is looking to hire a Regional Remittance Specialist (Africa), P-3, who will work under direct supervision of the Technical Specialist, P4 Migration/Remittances based in New York and Regional Digital Hub Manager, P5 based in Dakar, Senegal and will collaborate on technical matters with UNCDF Technical Specialists, across the region and globally.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Lead the regional migration and remittance initiatives and be responsible for the implementation of the programmatic activities in Africa (30%)
- Provide targeted technical assistance to selected partners and other stakeholders to ensure they have the necessary support to build inclusive digital solutions to support migrants and remittances (30%)
- Support the development and execution of harmonization activities at the regional level (ecosystem and remittance policy activities) in order to increase the level of knowledge and capacity of all regional economic communities and national stakeholders (15%)
- Generate, facilitate, and disseminate research and information sharing to ensure stakeholders are informed on current trends, best practices, market conditions, and special topics as needed (15%)
- Provides support to UNCDF management on regional and corporate initiatives and activities (10%)
Detailed description of Job roles and Responsibilities:
Lead the regional migration and remittance initiatives and be responsible for the implementation of the programmatic activities in Africa (30%);
- Ensure engagement and cooperation with ECOWAS, ECCAS, IGAD and other regional blocks with the intended outcome to build capacity towards increased efficiency, affordability and security of intra-regional and cross border remittances;
- Based on discussion and inputs from regional economic communities and development partners, update and win acceptance for the regional study with the objective of harmonization of cross border remittance flows to and among regional block member countries;
- Identify priorities, strategies and key milestones to provide technical assistance and build capacity at regional and national level;
- Update UNCDF’s regional and country strategy, develop detailed annual work plans and budgets. Submit quarterly reports.
- Ensure proper planning, staffing and contracting through inputs and to the related plans and reports and monitoring.
- Lead progress meetings for the regional remittance projects.
- Lead calls with funders and manage partner reporting.
- Work closely with the Results Measurement Team to ensure the on-time and accurate reporting of results from partners and facilitate the peer exchange and learning agenda
Provide targeted technical assistance to selected partners and other stakeholders to ensure they have the necessary support to build inclusive digital solutions to support migrants and remittances (30%):
- Challenge delivery models and strategies of some actors to increase the level of innovation and inclusivity in the region;
- Provide on-going technical assistance to partners on the development and/or pilot of innovative remittance and financial products, services and tools to strengthen adoption and usage of digital remittances channels, while strengthening the financial capability of migrants;
- Provide advice as needed to other stakeholders, including central banks, to build overall awareness and acceptance of digital remittance channels;
- Promote open digital payment ecosystem in the region and investigate all possible avenues to accelerate the development of the sector;
- Assist partners in identifying opportunities with others, including recommending or fostering strategic, financial or technical partnerships;
- In partnership with the UNCDF network of Regional and Country Technical Advisors, develop and maintain partnerships with relevant regional and national stakeholders including the central banks, telecommunication companies, and financial service providers.
- Build effective and efficient partnerships at the operational level with development partners to coordinate remittances, migration, financial inclusion, including financial literacy activities in the region;
Support the development and execution of harmonization activities at the regional level (open payment ecosystem and remittance policy activities) in order to increase the level of knowledge and capacity of all regional economic communities and national stakeholders (15%):
- Conduct a diagnostic of the regional remittance ecosystem across ECOWAS, ECCAS, and IGAD drawing on existing tools, including an update on the inventory of relevant remittance policies, laws and regulations; identification of key actors, and use of digital remittance channels in the region with key recommendations
- Support the development of a market research to identify migrant’s needs, demands, behaviors and attitudes; draft TORs, procure and manage consultants for conduct action-oriented data and research activities;
- Support the development of a product design strategy that supports the mainstreaming of migrant-centric remittance and financial services.
Generate, facilitate, and disseminate research and information sharing to ensure stakeholders are informed on current trends, best practices, market conditions, and special topics as needed (15%):
- Conduct workshops and peer-exchange on remittance harmonization and digital innovation;
- Identify learning, training, and knowledge sharing opportunities for partners and key stakeholders and provide capacity building opportunities;
- Maintain regular contact with partners, identify issues and assist them in overcoming them;
- Review and respond to partner reports, ensuring partners are reporting accurately on activities/initiatives;
- Monitor progress under performance-based agreements, verify milestones and targets for disbursements;
- Seek opportunities for coordinating and co-funding projects with other funders, ensure the programme’s efforts complete those of other initiatives
Provides support to UNCDF management on regional and corporate initiatives and activities: (10%)
- Contribute to UNCDF regional annual work plan and budget;
- Provide inputs for UNCDF semi-annual reporting;
- Assist in implementation of mid-term and final evaluations of the programme;
- Support annual and cumulative UNCDF results analyses and substantive inputs into UNCDF and FIPA Business Plans;
- As requested, assist in fundraising and relationship management with donors
- Note: This position is advertised, pending classification.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree in economics, public/business administration, social sciences, communications, or related discipline. A first university degree with two additional years of experience is also acceptable.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in progressively more responsible or leadership position in financial services, digital finance, financial inclusion, telecom, technology/service sector, or international development.
- At least 3 years’ work experience as a specialist in remittances supporting the implementation and management at programme level; and/or developing digital remittance projects with the private sector and investors is considered highly desirable.
- Experience in managing key stakeholder relationships viz regulator, government, C-level executives, board-level management, etc is considered desirable.
- Experience in leading technical teams; previous work experience in Africa is highly desirable.
- Experience with launching and managing challenge innovation challenge windows is considered highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with financing efforts (investments, fund-raising) is highly desireable.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines is desirable.
- Strong writing skills, with ability to write succinctly and clearly in terms of proposals, reports, communication pieces
- Proficiency in both English and French (written and verbal) is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.