United Nations Environment Programme, Asuncion, Paraguay
Closing Date for Applications:
The Technical Specialist will work in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the PMU, supporting the agreed tasks in the PMU planning regarding the execution of the project workplan, preparation of technical documents, implementation of adaptation measures, relation with the stakeholders and beneficiaries, organization of events such as missions, workshops and meetings, and coordination of field work teams in the project intervention areas. The Officer will also support the monitoring of the activities and the reporting of technical and budgetary execution according to the requirements of UNEP, the Adaptation Fund and MADES.
The Technical Specialist will perform the following tasks:
- Execute the technical components of the project and provide technical and logistical support to the PMU.
- Execute and support the development of the activities proposed in the project document, logical framework and planning for the fulfillment of the project objectives.
- Attend and coordinate actions for performing training workshops, meetings, presentations and other events.
- Maintain a close and continuous relation with the relevant stakeholders and beneficiaries of the project and report issues in a timely manner
- Review the documentation related to the project and its annexes, and other projects and initiatives with synergies with the project, plan and draft reports accordingly
- Prepare notes, memoranda, and / or emails, communicating the status of the project to the stakeholders and beneficiaries participating in the project, in close consultation with the PMU and MADES.
- Coordinate field trips.
- Support the compliance with the agreements reached in the project agreement, the Steering Committee and the recommendations of the Technical Support Mechanism and the Local Coordination Committees.
- Support and execute of the project strategy, project workplan and annual and monthly plans.
- Prepare execution plans, mission plans and procurement plans, in close consultation with the PMU
- Prepare and consolidate the plans, progress reports and results of the project, for the Steering Committee, the Technical Support Mechanism and the Local Coordination Committee, in coordination with the Project PMU.
- Register and systematize the agreements of the meetings and monitor them, especially the decisions related to his / her area of intervention and keep records on shared platforms with PMU, UNEP AND MADES.
- Draft Terms of Reference, coordinate procurement of consultants, services and goods, and advice and assist in the supervision of the compliance with the procurement processes based on the requirements of UNEP and MADES, in close coordination with the administrative staff
- Keep a systematized record on shared platforms (hard and soft copies) of all the communications received from or sent to MADES, which are related to the project.
- Prepare reports of missions and other technical activities of the project, collect the means of verification (forms, surveys, minutes, photos, videos, publication newsletter) and keep a systematized record on shared platforms
- Support the writing of reports and documents to actively communicate project progress.
- Support the preparation or update of project manuals and guidelines.
- Support the preparation of project execution and budget reports.
- Support the systematization of products and lessons learned.
- Provide continuous support to consultants hired by the project and to national and local partners in the execution of the project.
- Review technical documents, such as consultancies products, among others.
- Provide occasional technical support to DNCC in relation to the project.
- Other activities relevant for the fulfillment of the position’s objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Technical Specialist will operate under the overall supervision of the Adaptation Programme Officer of UNEP’s Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, in close coordination with the Project Coordinator.
- She/he will work within the PMU based in MADES, in close collaboration with UNEP’s Adaptation team, from Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week, full time.
- Postgraduate degree in environmental science, agronomy, forestry, engineering or related field is required.
- Additional studies or specific training in in adaptation, climate change natural resource management, food security, social work or a related field is an asset.
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in programmes and projects is required.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in the implementation of cooperation projects Is required.
- Demonstrated experience in climate change adaptation or resilience.
- Demonstrated experience in agriculture or livestock is an asset.
- Relevant experience overseeing and monitoring social, environmental, gender and indigenous communities’ safeguards is an asset.
- Relevant experience with climate change vulnerable communities is an asset.
- Relevant experience with projects in the Chaco Region of Paraguay is required.
- Fluency in Spanish and Guaraní is required.
- Knowledge of English is a desirable.