Technical Specialist for Employment-Intensive Investment Policies and Programmes
International labour organisation(ILO), Yaounde, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
- Provide consultative services to countries in Central Africa in support of national policies and strategies to promote employment at the global and sectoral levels;
- Organize advocacy work, and support and defend the importance and the advantages of investments and employment-intensive technologies in different instances;
- Advocate and support the orientation of investments towards creating more decent and productive employment and improving the access of the population to goods and services, especially the most disadvantaged sections of society;
- Engage and support governments and social partners in developing green employment creation initiatives, in support of the priorities of protecting the environment and adapting to climate change;
- Provide technical support for the identification, design and development of technical cooperation programmes;
- Promote the exchange of information, experience and good practices at the national, subregional and regional levels and provide support to strengthen the capacities of different actors by promoting approaches based on the development of local resources: materials, production of goods and services and local workforce;
- Develop reconstruction and resilience strategies and programmes in post-conflict situations. Support ILO constituents in developing pilot and demonstration programmes designed to develop local resources, make optimal use of local labour, materials and production to carry out public works and community projects and produce goods;
- Where possible, the specialist will assist tripartite constituents of the ILO with institutional development and capacity building, with a view to supporting employment-intensive programmes and projects.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Design and promote a wide range of programmes on specialized subjects. This involves the re-analysis of complex or conflicting data, statistics and information or policy guidelines by the comprehensive application of the principles of a recognized technical specialization;
- Review and develop an institutional framework in which social partners can improve, implement and evaluate effective and equitable ILO action programmes;
- Formulate and submit project proposals and seek funding;
- Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the project activities;
- Undertake technical advisory missions independently or in collaboration with multidisciplinary teams;
- Conduct seminars, workshops, technical meetings and training courses;
- Prepare draft recommendations and guidelines for discussion and adoption as ILO resolutions or Recommendations on related technical fields;
- Write manuals or training guides on related topics;
- Disseminate information on programmes by means of publications and press releases, ensure representation at meetings with donor agencies, in international, regional and national forums and conduct advocacy campaigns;
- Monitor and coordinate research carried out by junior technical officers and external collaborators;
- Provide technical inputs to office documents (sectoral meetings, technical committees, regional meetings and conference reports);
- Participate in tripartite reviews on technical cooperation activities and in international meetings and conferences.
- Advanced university degree in civil or agricultural engineering and demonstrated expertise in the fields of economics and development.
- Eight years' experience at the national level or five years at the international level.
- Proven experience in employment-intensive investment programmes and public or community infrastructure projects.
- Experience in the negotiation, formulation, preparation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of employment-intensive investment projects.
- Experience in policy issues relating to the adoption of the employment-intensive approach and proven mastery of the technical, economic, social and environmental aspects of employment-intensive projects.
- Excellent command of French and English, including ability to draft in both languages.
- Knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish would be an advantage.