Technology for Development
People in Need, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of the Position
The successful candidate for this position will assist the Cambodian mission of People in Need (PIN) with the identification, integration and development of ICT into PIN programming; strengthening internal capacity with support for T4D related projects, identifying and engaging with key partners, identifying reusable and replicable technical solutions and maximizing potential for T4D project scale-up and implementation. The successful candidate will be directly supervised by the Global Innovations Manager, but will also work closely in the country with other program staff, and in close liaison with the other members of PIN’s team worldwide.
- Provide ongoing technical support to Cambodia ICT programming (e.g. Health, Disaster Management, Spatial Planning), including but not limited to mobile and web applications, sensor technologies, GIS development & other technology based solutions to development problems.
- Provide technical inputs to identify new solutions and innovations to support stakeholders (e.g. Humanitarian Response Forum, National Committee for Disaster Management, Ministry of Health)
- Support process of selection, negotiation and communication with local telecommunications providers, government regulatory authorities and other corporate, not-for-profit and government bodies.
- Support contracting of external service providers and provide technology advice and direction where required.
Research and Analysis
- Assist PIN Cambodia mission to identify and assess new ICT4D initiatives, contribute to new phases of on-going initiatives, and research areas with potential to improve PIN programming, including but not limited to:
- Identification of appropriate mobile options, including suitable solutions (SMS, USSD, IVR, Social Media Apps) that will correspond to country specific program needs.
- Analysis of potential for web or mobile applications which could support existing PIN programming
- Analyze existing GIS and other map based technologies to improve the visual display of data in PIN programming
- Research sensor technology, IoT solutions, and other integrated technologies to connect our program activities to the wider world.
- Identify effective strategies to provide sustainable solutions, which also have country wide and regional scale up potential.
- Collect data, undertake analysis and prepare reports on existing initiatives and solutions. Capture lessons learnt from various programs and share resources with other partner and donor organizations where possible.
- Disseminate information on ICT4D projects and resources and to PIN HQ and other missions.
Partnerships and Communications
- Research, identify and engage with potential ICT partners (including, but not limited to, the private sector) and explore areas of engagement to promote and enhance PIN goals in the area of Technology for Development.
- Work with all partners, including PIN's Cambodia programs teams, PIN International and other program partners to identify and share new developments in ICT4D projects worldwide.
- Represent PIN at exchange forums, conferences, workshops etc.
- Preparation of high quality visual and written communication materials for publication and dissemination.
- An advanced university degree in Management Information Systems, ICT Management, Computer Science or related field is required. A first level university degree in combination with two (2) years additional qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience at a comparative organization in identifying, designing and implementing technology solutions for projects with technical components is required.
- Previous hands on experience in ICT4D related projects will be highly valued.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required. Khmer language skills considered an asset.
Other relevant Requirements:
- Experience in supporting and coordinating project activities in an NGO environment
- Experience with ICT hardware, mobile phones and web-based technologies, particularly designing or deploying tools appropriate to low-bandwidth or sub-standard infrastructure environments.
- Experience in open source, mobile and emerging technology is extremely desirable.
- Exposure to PIN programmatic areas, including (but not limited to) health, nutrition, disaster preparedness, livelihoods and natural resources management and experience in applying technical solutions to address programmatic issues. Knowledge of PIN's ICT landscape will be considered an asset.
- Expert knowledge or significant interest in one or more of these areas is desirable:
- RapidPro/Twilio and/or other IVR and SMS based applications;
- mHealth services;
- Geographic Information Systems and Humanitarian Response;
- Sensor technology and IoT based solutions;
- Cloud based hosting and web applications, such as AWS or Azure;
- Experience in programming languages in any of the following; JavasSript (jQuery, angularJS), Ruby, Java, Python, SQL, Arduino;
- Environment of well-established and growing organization
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Housing allowance
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line
- Travel health insurance