Temporary operational and hands-on support
United Nations Development Programme , Bonn, Germany
Closing Date for Applications:
- The United Nations in Bonn consists of 23 separate entities with a personnel complement of close to 1000 people. The UN entities are co-located in common premises in two different locations at the Rhine River. The high-quality premises are provided by the Government of Germany. The main UN Campus in the former parliamentary district of Bonn host the vast majority of UN Agencies and UN staff.
- The second location is situated nearby in Bonn-Plittersdorf. Additional expansions of the main UN Campus location will lead to further consolidation over the next several years.
- The common premises in Bonn are managed by UNV on behalf of the UN entities in Bonn and UNV does also manage the provision of premises related and other common services. To that end, UNV has established a Common Services Section (CS). The cost of the unit and the services provided are cost shared between the UN entities.
The UNV organization
- The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both, society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity. Every year, more than 8000 world citizens serve the United Nations as UN Volunteers.
- UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany. Most HQ personnel works on the UN Campus in Bonn and the rest in roughly 60 offices at the regional and country level. Several positions are also based in UN peacekeeping and political missions and in other Headquarter locations (New York). The Capacity Development (CD) team in the Human Resources Section (HRS) manages all capacity development and learning activities for UNV Personnel as well as for all UN Volunteers serving with UN agencies globally.
- The Common Services Section has responsibility for the overall management of the UN premises buildings and for services that are shared by most UN Agencies that are residing at the UN Campus in Bonn. The Unit’s main business objectives are the upkeep of business continuity at the Campus facilities and provision of client services in the area of building management, logistics, conference services and shared ICT infrastructures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MAIN OBJECTIVES, SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED SERVICES:
- In order to ensure the continuous function of logistical services on the UN Campus during periods of extended workload and operational needs the Common Services Unit seeks on-demand support in the following functional areas:
- Common mail, delivery and storage service,
- Common logistical projects,
- Common conference services,
- Common facilities operation.
- The consultant will undertake the described tasks under the overall guidance of the Chief, Common Services Unit and direct supervision of the Campus Operations Associate.
- UN Business hours are Monday to Friday 8:00h -18:00hrs.
- In general, the consultant is requested to work full days (8 working hours).
- In particular cases support can also be requested half days or outside the above-mentioned business hours.
- Common Services Section plans to enter into an agreement with four TOP ranked successful Individual Contractors.
- UNV do not warrant any quantity of requested services and no assistance for travel or relocation to Bonn.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Good knowledge of logistical and operational procedures in an international working environment
- Understanding of mail and delivery procedures
- Ensures capacity and flexibility in providing requested services on short notice throughout the entire contract period
- Ability to work with computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc.)
- Displays strong client orientation skills
- Demonstrates a service and result based driven working attitude.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Capability to work in a physically challenging environment
- Readiness and capability to operate an electrical fork lift
- Valid driving licence (class B)
- Fluency in English and German language
- Secondary Education
- Relevant work experience ideally in a UN or other international public services working environment