Temporary Systems Developer
FHI 360, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
To support design, development and/or adaptation of CB-HIPP database applications. The systems developer will work with the project team to adapt and revise existing databases or develop new applications to meet current project data needs, support local implementing partners (LIPs) and health facilities participating in the cross-border health units (CBHUs) at Kenya and Uganda border area to utilize the databases as appropriate. He/she will support data management activities ensuring the system generates quality and timely reports. S/he will also be responsible for development of the project’s Geographical Information System (GIS) to include the management of spatial databases.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and design a functional system for collecting, organizing, analyzing, interpreting, and classifying information for input into electronic databases;
- Design and develop (or adopt) database applications in response to CB-HIPP (CBHUs) information needs, using MS Excel, Access, ODK, VB and SQL. Install developed applications, write application manuals, and train users.
- Develop standardized programming, data quality checks, and data documentation procedures relevant to the HIV and AIDS, TB, FP/RH and MNCH data systems.
- Ensure the system’s capability to generate timely and accurate data.
- Ensure systems performs auto backup and recovery of all databases. Take appropriate measures to ensure the security of the data.
- Ensure adherence to policies to ensure the security and confidentiality of identifiable health data.
- Design/adapt systems to automate and create special maps from GIS and health datasets.
- Create structures necessary for GIS data storage.
- Design tools necessary for loading / transferring GIS data from one system to another.
- Use tools to combine GIS datasets and create new information, investigate patterns and analyze spatial data.
- Facilitate end user training and ease of use; train users and provide support for the applications.
- Develop custom data, statistics, reports, presentations and other products with the team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- MS SQL Server Administration, District Health Information System (DHIS) Windows NT and Office Administration and Management, Relational database design and analysis, SQL and MS Access/Excel programming skills.
- Very strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel (e.g., abilities with pivot tables, conditional formatting, etc.) and experience developing Excel templates required
- Advanced knowledge of relational database concepts and skills utilized in creating and maintaining relational databases and linking them with GIS.
- Strong background in geospatial and health information systems (GIS) and/or database management is required.
- Knowledge and expertise in using ODK, GIS software such as ArcGIS 9.x equivalent at a moderate level of complexity
- Ability to program in SQL and to manage data in relational database management system is required
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite (Word, Power point, Power BI and Access) required
- Good knowledge of programming principles and languages
- Sound understanding of HIV and AIDS and integrated TB, SGBV, reproductive health/family planning and public health programming.
- Knowledge of current PEPFAR and national reporting; including Kenya/Uganda and USG rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete assigned tasks, train and facilitate learning for health facilities participating in CBHU.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent with 3-5 years’ experience.
- Masters’ degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent with 1-2 years’ experience.