Theme Leader - Water Futures
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), Colombo, Sri Lanka
Closing Date for Applications:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage a team of international researchers who aim to enhance our understanding of the interplay between physical hydro-economic systems and decision-making environments, such as political economy, and legal and governance factors.
- Identify global development trends, set short- and long-term objectives, and structure the theme to deliver quality and relevant research outputs.
- Offer science-based solutions and decision-support tools to enhance cooperation, and equitable, socioeconomic and environmentally sustainable allocation of resources across sectors and borders at the river basin scale.
- Maintain recognition as a leading scientist and development practitioner as demonstrated through the publication of academic and practical research outputs, and/or contributions made to policy development, investment plans, and facilitation of improved water and land management practices. Collaborate to achieve high impact and secure financial resources
- In partnership with IWMI’s business development team, secure resources for effective implementation of the Water Futures theme, and lead engagement with relevant donors through effective networking and proposal development.
- Collaborate with IWMI’s regional and global uptake professionals to report on progress made towards achieving goals, and to ensure that the Institute’s research is well positioned, demand-driven, and responsive to current and future challenges.
- Collaborate with leaders of IWMI’s other research themes, regional directors, office heads, CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) and key partners to develop cohesive strategies and ensure cross-fertilization of concepts, ideas and results.
- Disseminate key research outputs and outcomes at national, regional and global levels in collaboration with IWMI’s professional communication teams.
- Represent IWMI at international conferences and act as a spokesperson on issues related to the Water Futures theme. Manage and coordinate
- Oversee the team’s finances and resources according to plans and budgets to ensure timely, high-quality outputs are in line with relevant policies and procedures.
- Lead and motivate staff in accordance with IWMI’s policies and practices, which includes planning and directing work, appraising performance, guiding professional development and managing employee relations issues.
- Model cultural agility, integrity and respect across the organization, and in all interactions with stakeholders.
- Ensure that IWMI delivers on its relevant agreed contributions and strategic commitments to the CGIAR global research partnership and CRPs.
- A PhD with a background in economics or agricultural/resource economics and water resource systems.
- A minimum of 10 years research experience and a strong publication record in peer-reviewed international journals, research impact and/or other acknowledgments.
- Successful experience of working at an international level in developing regions of the world.
Skills & abilities :
- A strategic communicator who can take scientific research findings and persuade policy-makers, international agencies, donors and other stakeholders of its relevance.
- An economist with the quantitative and modeling skills that link hydrology and water/agricultural economics, with a body of published research to back up that expertise.
- A hands-on, team leader with demonstrated skills in managing world-class researchers to deliver high-quality, actionable results.
- A strong strategic planner with the ability to develop and deliver strategic initiatives to advance the research agenda of the Water Futures theme
To Apply Visit