The Global Protection Affairs Unit (Prot Glob) acts as a focal point for protection issues related to global counter-terrorism measures and global actors extra territorial activities. The Unit supports ICRC delegations to develop their protection strategies by sharing experiences and tools, by analysing current trends in counter-terrorism measures, and by developing the ICRC’s protection programs in accordance with those trends.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- Support and contribute to the Unit’s analytical and advisory roles
- Assist directly on specific files, particularly support to Foreign Fighter and their Families file, dialogue with Global actors and former Guantanamo Bay detainees
- Communicate with various field delegations to assist them with their work
- Participate in the research and development of the Unit’s projects on issues stemming from counter-terrorism by carrying out information collection, synthesis, and summarization
- Take part in the creation and maintenance of information sharing tools
- Be responsible for the administration within the Unit
- Organise and maintain electronic and paper records
- Take part in planning and organising the Unit’s meetings and workshops, in coordination with other Units
Certifications / Education required
University degree in Law, Political Science or related field.
Professional Experience required
Only individuals enrolled in higher education or who have recently completed their studies are eligible to be trainees/associates. For candidates to be eligible they must have a maximum of one year's professional experience after graduation (relating to the post) or two years if they have been in previous traineeships.
Desired profile and skills
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- Interest in Protection issues and knowledge in operations and strategies used for Global Counter Terrorism measures
- Fluent written and spoken English and French, native speaker an advantage. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Excellent research, analysis and synthesis skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and with colleagues at a distance
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Experience within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement an asset
- Type of position: Traineeship
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Length of assignment : 12 months
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 13/07/2020
- Relocation: Not provided for traineeships
- Visa/permit: Legitimacy card provided
- Gross monthly salary: 3000 CHF
- Application documents required: diplomas, work certificates, scan color of passport – please upload it on your profile