UNOPS , Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in UN Environment, Human Resources Section, Corporate Services Division, Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Chief Human Resources Advisor.
The Training Office will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates with the Talent and Development Unit in the UN Office at Nairobi (UNON) in planning for training for UNEP staff. Ensure UNEP is in compliance with Mandatory trainings and the Performance Appraisal System (ePerformance); oversees and monitors its implementation throughout UNEP in collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Advisor.
- Under the guidance of the Chief Human Resources Advisor, supports the implementation of the Secretary General's Gender Parity Strategy and Specifically the UN Environment Gender Parity Implementation Plan by developing outputs, contributing to the delivery as well as monitoring the established timelines.
- Effectively coordinates actions relative to the administration of human resource activities, e.g. performance appraisal, financial disclosure, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Contributes to the design, development, delivery and evaluation of training, learning and development programmes for staff. These programmes encompass a range of activities including, inter alias, training courses, technical and substantive training, leadership and management training and organizational development courses. Coordinating and developing learning support mechanisms and activities for civilian staff and building the capacity of staff.
- Identifies need for new or modified training policies and practices, works with sections and out-posted staff to identify forthcoming training requirements and develops strategies to meet them. Provides inputs into the preparation and monitoring of the training budget. Processes training proposals and requests and follows up with section training focal points to ensure that training guidelines are adhered to.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of training, learning and development activities and develops appropriate reports.
- Provides advisory services to managers and staff, to ensure that training and development meets current needs and anticipates to the extent possible future needs. Develops tools and participates in the assessment of training needs, collection and collation of required inputs and preparation of relevant reports.
- Collaborates with UN Environment Programme staff to ensure that an integrated approach to training and development is maintained and integrated training is developed and delivered to meet cross- cutting needs. Collaborates with training focal points of other out-posted offices such as Gender and staff engagement, Protection of Civilians and HIV-AIDS as well as UN agencies to ensure that cross-cutting issues are incorporated into the design and development of programmes.
- Coordinates the provision of administrative and logistical support for the delivery of training programmes and team activities; this may include completion of requirements in recruiting consultants and training service providers.
- Performs any other duties as required.
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in training or learning and development, management, public or business administration, education, gender or a related area such as education or social science.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of working experience in workforce learning and development, adult learning, training, or a related area is required.
- Experience in the design and practical delivery of formal training sessions and programmes is required.
- Experience working in a multicultural and/or international environment is highly desirable
- Experience providing training or related activity outside of the home country is desirable
- Experience providing training or related activity to or in the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Basic Knowledge in French languages is an advantage