United Nations Volunteers, Dohuk, Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority, the UN Volunteer Translator/Interpreter will be responsible for the following duties :
- Services up to seven meetings per week (exceptionally eight);
- Provides consecutive and simultaneous interpretation form the local language (s) to designated UN working language (s) and vice versa at various meetings or areas of activity of the United Nations, using the appropriate terminology, as and when the need arises;
- Provides escort (field) interpretation for meetings with UNITAD team, and facilitates communication during official visits, as required;
- Provides interpretation into Kurdish of speeches given in English and interpretation into English of speeches given in Kurdish.
- May occasionally be assigned to sensitive meetings.
- Translates documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by UNITAD, i.e. Legal, criminal investigation, international accountability mechanisms etc.;
- May perform other related duties, as required.
Required degree level: Secondary education
Education - Additional Comments:
- A High School degree is required;
- At least four years of professional interpreting and translation experience is required
Required experience: 48 Months
- Relevant language experience within the UN System is desirable;
- Experience working in any of the following domains is desirable: legal, criminal investigation or international accountability mechanisms;
- Experience working in a conflict or post-conflict environment will be an asset.
- Kurdish(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Translation and interpretation
Area of expertise details:
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software
Driving license: No