Background Information - Job-specific
In adapting to the growing complexity of the 21st century, the United Nations need to respond dynamically to ensure it remains instrumental in supporting the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and targets for the 2030 agenda. Technological innovation and the role of partnerships across sectors have become increasingly important to accelerate progress in addressing the problems that humanity face.
In close partnership with the Government of Egypt, the UN is establishing and operationalizing the United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) located in Smart Village, Cairo.
The priority focus of the UNTIL Egypt Lab will be establishing partnerships with UN Funds and Programmes as well as Governments, Academia, NGOs and private sector leveraging technology to address SDGs challenges in the areas of education for special-needs students, health, industry and agriculture.
This position is located in the United Nations Technology Innovation Labs (UNTIL) Egypt under the Global Services Division (GSD) of OICT. The UNTIL Programme management Officer reports to the Chief Strategic Solutions/UNTIL programme.
Within delegated authority, the UNTIL Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Oversees the design and implementation of UNTIL Egypt lab’s objective; manages/oversees multiple, concurrent and often disparate tasks for projects that involve cutting-edge innovative applications
- Reviews project plans, schedules, and budgets on the UNTIL programmes. Identifies appropriate human and technical resources to complete the project. Evaluates project risk factors, escalating project issues, and develops solutions to projects issues.
- Conducts activities around setting up the lab and preparing project briefs and other programme documentation around programme initiation.
- Submits regular reports to the Advisory Panel and UNTIL Egypt Lab Board and liaises with panel members on the strategy of the Lab. Takes the lead regarding advice and strategic direction received from the Advisory Panel and UNTIL Country Board.
- Works on the establishment of new partnerships and enhances existing partnerships between UNTIL and other stakeholders to strengthen effectiveness and efficiency of the programme deliverables.
- Oversees activities for the UNTIL Egypt team; plans and allocates work assignments; coaches, mentors, and evaluates staff; participates in recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programs.
- Oversees UNTIL’s communication strategy. Prepares, updates and develops communication material.
- Oversees the research and analysis on potential private sector or public sector entities which could support the work of UNTIL labs in terms of core expertise and/or funding.
Impact of Results
The incumbent in this position will oversee the UNTIL programme in Egypt and establish long term partnerships with local and global technology innovation actors within the established thematic areas of focus.He/she will establish the UNTIL office following best management practices and guidance to lab personnel.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international business administration, engineering, computer science, information systems, innovation management, partnership management, or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Required: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in programme management in technology innovation or related area.
- A minimum of two years experience in setting up offices away from headquarters in intergovernmental organizations with responsibilities to implement programmes with local and global scope is an advantage.
- A minimum of two years experience in planning, designing and facilitating promotion of innovative technology solutions in the areas of Education, Health, Industry, Agriculture or Capacity development in the area of technology innovations an advantage.
- Experience in running partnership programmes with Member States.
Language Requirements: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required; Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.