Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the terms of the organization’s delegated authority, and under the direct supervision of the Head of Unit of the Preparedness and Response Unit, the UN Volunteer will provide support in:
- Maintaining awareness of current humanitarian affairs and related issues, to include relevant political, policy, gender considerations or other developments in specific subject areas, countries and or regional issues;
- Responding to various inquiries and information requests internally and externally;
- Participating in technical assistance, disaster assessment or other missions, including country level response preparedness, and response, missions;
- Supporting the production of appeals for international assistance and strategic response plans; ensures the proper use and spending of donor contributions channeled through OCHA;
- Participating in project/programme formulation and mobilization of relevant resources;
- Assisting in the design and preparation of studies on humanitarian, disaster, emergency relief and related issues and in various follow-up activities;
- Researching, analysing and presenting information gathered from diverse sources on assigned topics/issues;
- Contributing to the preparation of various written documents, e.g. drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, etc;
- Assisting in the organization of meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. with agencies and other partners to facilitate exchanges of views on specific humanitarian- related subjects/issues; serves as reporter to such events;
- Developing and maintaining reference/resource information on specific topics or policy-related issues;
- Setting aside dedicated time for capacity development through coaching, mentoring and formal and on-the-job training when working with national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts;
- Performs other duties as required.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
The incumbent must be a dynamic, multi-functional person, who supports OCHA ROAP with professionalism, dedication and client orientation. The following qualifications are required:
- Advanced university degree preferably in political or social science, international relations, communications, journalism or related field.
Required experience: 24 Months
- Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian assistance is an asset, knowledge of the institutions of the UN system desirable;
- Two years’ experience at the national or international level in disaster management, humanitarian affairs and/or response preparedness approaches is highly desirable;
- Proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), and the ability to generate ad hoc electronic documents, spreadsheets, and databases;
- Fluent spoken and written English is a requirement.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Other emergency management experience