Background Information - Job-specific
The Virtualization and Cloud Senior Engineer will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Information Systems Officer (P4), the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC, Valencia, Spain, provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
- Secondary Education preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Telecommunications, Engineering, Statistics, or relevant field is required.
- A first or advanced level university degree in a relevant field with additional years of relevant experience may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- PRINCE2 practitioner certification is required.
- VMware Certified Professional certification is required.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure Architect certifications are required.
- A minimum of eleven (11) years of progressively responsible experience post Secondary Education in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems preferably in an international environment.
- A first or advanced level university degree in a relevant field may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. VMware, VMware SRM, etc).
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience supporting multi location enterprise grade data centre.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience supervising teams located in different geographical location
- Cloud experience, preferably in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience producing technical documentation to support projects and initiatives.
Language Requirements: Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement, knowledge of a second UN language an advantage