Vulnerability & Data Analysis Expert
World Food Programme, Ankara, Turkey
Closing Date for Applications:
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In September 2016, WFP signed the largest humanitarian deal in European history: a €348 million contract with the European Union to roll out a programme known as the Emergency Social Safety Net (ESSN). ESSN programme in Turkey contributes of the goals laid out in the Grand Bargain. Partnering with the European Commission’s Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid department (ECHO), WFP has joined forces with the Turkish Red Crescent and the Government of Turkey to lessen the suffering of over a million refugees in Turkey.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, Food Security, Statistics, Data Science, Public Health/Nutrition, Geography or other related field, with 3 years of professional work experience or First University degree with at least 4 years of related work experience.
- Language: Fluency ( Level C ) in both English and Turkish Languages.
- Strong analytical skills: demonstrated prior experience in analysing large datasets and communicating results
- Excellent English writing skills: candidates must have an excellent level of written English, with demonstrated prior work/educational experience in English.
To contribute to the VAM evidence base that supports food security and nutrition policies and programmes (e.g. needs assessment and situation analyses, programme design, targeting, cost effectiveness, and operational efficiency).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the development of VAM projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies and guidance.
- Support the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of food assistance needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practice.
- Support the development of food security and vulnerability analysis and the preparation of timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making on the development of country strategy, policies and programmes.
- Provide assistance on the coordination of data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Liaise with implementing partners (internal and external) to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, timeliness and efficiency and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to conduct vulnerability analysis to effectively inform preparedness and response activities.
- Provide support to relevant partners that are focusing on food security and nutrition issues to enable sharing of experience, lessons learned and best practice.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
- Food Security Analysis Demonstrates ability to conduct structured food security analysis—Identify underlying macro and micro factors impacting food security of communities and countries. Provides findings and recommendations for the programmatic response.
- Food Security Monitoring Manages the implementation of food security monitoring systems. Investigates any observed anomalies in the datasets and informs program management for operational response.
- Technical Specialized Knowledge (e.g., Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Remote Sensing, GIS, etc.) Provides managerial and technical guidance for designing and conducting analyses, including computation, interpretation, and presentation of results for food security surveys and key indicators (comprehensive food security and vulnerability surveys, food security monitoring, implementing mobile surveys, market analysis, food consumption scores, coping strategies indices. data disaggregation, etc.)
- Food Security Assessment Leads all aspects of surveys including design, implementation, analysis, findings and reporting. Ensures that assessment findings are easily translated into operational programmatic response.
- Strategic Operational Understanding Demonstrates strong understanding of country operations to participate in response analysis exercises to improve the cohesion between analytical findings and programmatic response. Constructs evidence base underlying technical and policy advice given to stakeholders.