Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a WASH Engineer for its Country Office at Cox’sBazar.
About the job
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading NGOs, with a focus on responding to displacement, have been registered in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2017, in response to the Rohingya influx, DRC are preparing to launch an integrated program of support to the government in site management, shelter/NFI and protection. In 2018, DRC will be implementing aid projects in support of the host communities most affected by the influx of refugees. As a key part of this, DRC opened up a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka.
The WASH Engineer will work in Ukhya Upazila, Cox’s Bazar with possible travel to needed areas within Cox’s Bazar District. The WASH Engineer is in-charge of implementing WASH related activities including but not limited to: Water point installation and rehabilitation, Water treatment and Sanitation infrastructure construction under the supervision of WASH Manager as described in the proposals. S/he supervises the WASH technical team that come under his/her responsibility. His/her main responsibilities will include working to design and improve the technical engineering implementations of DRC’s WASH program including designing, quantifying, specifying of water points; preparing contractual documents and managing them; managing geophysical and hydrological studies; installation and maintenance of various water points including pumps; water treatment and quality testing, hand dug well construction, latrine (HH and communal) construction; drainage and solid waste management facilities. S/he will develop construction guidelines, approaches, planning and strengthen the capacity of his/her team and relevant stakeholders for effective and time bounded implementation with DRC standards. The WASH Engineer will also be responsible in coordinating and leading any emergency response with the support of DRC’s senior team; involving WASH efforts, creating and drafting technical designs and submitting regular reports.
- Assess needs for WASH interventions (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene facilities) at community level including Public schools and Health facilities
- Ensure “Accountability in WASH” at every stage of the project, satisfying the needs of the beneficiaries
- Preparation of drawings (AutoCAD), BoQ/Cost estimates and tender documents for all WASH infrastructures following DPHE and WASH Cluster guidelines.
- Help design and revise the construction/rehabilitation works component of the project work-plan, and monitor that the implementation of the construction/ rehabilitation activities respects the deadlines and appropriate quality
- Preparation of feasibility studies/ reports
- Ensure the technical design and construction of WASH infrastructure (hand dug wells, latrines, drainage, solid waste management facilities…)
- Prepare contractual documents such as BoQs and technical specifications for WASH activities
Project implementation, monitoring and reporting:
- Regular monitoring of ongoing construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executed as per quality, design, specifications and work schedule
- In coordination with WASH Manager, preparation of weekly, monthly work plans and construction progress reports; periodical reports and database management
- Site selections (including GPS locations) together with communities.
- Conduct water quality tests, train the DRC’s staff members and community representatives regarding field level water testing and sanitary survey inspection
- Keep close coordination with contractors through regular meetings
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etc and completion certificates
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH project in targeted areas
- Updating and submission of 4W matrix to WASH manager on monthly basis, or when required
- Perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of DRC
- Manage and supervise geophysical and hydrological studies
- Install and maintain of various water points including pumps
- Carry out and supervise water treatment and water quality activities
- Ensure the training of DRC staff members in technical areas including water quality testing and building and maintaining quality WASH structures.
- Conduct trainings regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities for beneficiaries and Water management committees
- Extend all possible technical support to other team members and contractors when and where required
Coordination and representation:
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, prior to intervention explaining DRC’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Represent DRC in various meetings as required.
- Always work towards promotion of DRC principles and humanitarian values in the communities.
- Supervise his team in the field
- Report to his line manager on a daily basis concerning all programmatic and personnel issues.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Five years’ work experiences in WASH and similar role in development and/or humanitarian sector;
- Proficient in Auto CAD, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Excellent communication skill; written and spoken English
- Able to be diplomatic in communications with all NGO, governmental, and community partners;
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in an ever-changing environment;
- Ability to write periodical reports and correspondence;
- Analytical skills and ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Familiarity with local (Chittagong) dialect would be an added advantage.
- Valid motorcycle driving license
University degree in Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Fluent in English and Bangla
- Cox’s Bazar Local language is an added value
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.