If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The WASH Officer reports to the Chief of WASH/Health/Nutrition/Education/CSD (Level 4/5) or a WASH Specialist who is at level 3 or 4 for supervision. The WASH Officer provides technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process. The Officer prepares, manages and implements a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the country programme.
- Programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES, DUTIES AND TASKS
Programme development and planning
- Draft updates for WASH in the situation analysis, to inform the development of WASH-related outcome and output results. Research and report on trends in WASH, for use in programme development, management, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of WASH-related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies, through analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations, complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support progress towards the WASH-related outcome and/or output results in the country programme.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate review and approval processes.
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/ share information on implementation issues, provide solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level interventions and/or decisions. Keep records of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare reports on results for required action/interventions at the higher level of programme management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
- Prepare sectoral progress reports for management, donors and partners.
Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Undertake field visits and surveys, collect and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Draft requisitions for supplies, services, long-term agreements and partnership agreements to ensure UNICEF is prepared to deliver on its commitments for WASH in case of an emergency.
- Study and fully understand UNICEF's procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results.
- Draft communication and information materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund-raising for WASH.
- Participate in inter-agency meetings on UNDAF planning, to integrate and harmonize UNICEF output results and implementation strategies with UNDAF development and planning processes.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems).
- Assist in the preparation of learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Assist in creating and delivering learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCIES
- An advanced / University degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
Work Experience: A minimum of two years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required.
Language Proficiency: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.