The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The purpose of the WASH Project Manager position is to implement delegated WASH project portfolio in Somali regional state.
- Line management for project staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and CC strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant CC projects
- Coordinate and manage WASH project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Manager and the WASH Specialist
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with CCs) and coordinate across CCs
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Plan, coordinate and lead WASH assessments in Somali Regional State (SRS)
- Quality control of all WASH activities – security allowing, travel regularly to all the sites of implementation of WASH activities, ensuring that all activities are in accordance with norms and standards;
- Develop, implement and manage remote monitoring systems that guarantee programme quality and implementation according to work plans and commitments to donors.
- Develop/Implement the planning for the extension of NRC’s WASH team and activities;
- Based on the broad framework determined by the needs assessments and the regional WASH strategy, develop SRS WASH strategy
- Prepare/ develop narratives and budgets for proposals in collaboration with the Area Manager and other Grants team in Country Office.
- Prepare monthly reports of all NRC WASH activities in SRS, and as required by donors;
- Manage and monitor program finance and budgets, ensuring that all project activities are in accordance with set expenditure levels;
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Ensure a constructive co-operation with other NRC programs in SRS, local partners, local authorities, other international and local NGOs as well as the UN Agencies;
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WASH programming in the Somali Region is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and represent organization at Interagency Coordination meetings.
Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Degree in Water Engineering, Public Health, Civil Engineering, Environmental Health, Hydrology
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical WASH expertise in both hardware and software components of WASH
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience in use of design software like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in performance management of staff
- Engineering sciences & technology
- Civil engineering / construction
Education level: College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments