About the job
Under the supervision of the Head of Operation, the WASH Project Manager (WPM) is responsible for planning, assessments, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activities and projects in the assigned area/s. The WPM will be responsible for multiple projects implemented with funding from multiple donors. Some of DRC’s WASH activities are integrated and aligned with CCCM, with some stand-alone WASH activities as well. This balance varies in relation to projects.
In close coordination with the DRC WASH Specialist and Shelter & Infrastructure Coordinator and Head of Operation, plan, strategize and undertake WASH activities in emergency and longer term activities. WPM contributes to the harmonization of WASH tools and guidelines across the Area and contribution to DRC’s WASH strategy for Yemen.
Liaise with, and attend regional WASH cluster in connection with the WASH Specialist and Shelter & Infrastructure Coordinator and Head of Operation.
The WPM contributes to the fulfilment of the aims and objectives of DRC’s presence in Yemen.
- Ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and monitoring of WASH activities/projects, including budget responsibility, in the assigned area;
- Implement 1st, 2nd and 3rd line emergency and full WASH response activities;
- Identify, assess and plan the rehabilitation of water network infrastructure and water treatment plants through management of WASH technical teams;
- Liaise with relevant local and regional government agencies to ensure the need, design and appropriateness of the intervention has the buy-in of local technical authorities, including government water resources departments to ensure longevity in design and planning of 2nd/3rd phase interventions;
- Manage contractors through design and implementation phase, adhering to DRC supply chain processes
- Ensure provision of complementary WASH services (hygiene promotion, solid waste, desludging, water trucking, etc.) to different contexts;
- Prepare and maintain up to date work plans and expenditures plans, in line with project and budget documents;
- Prepare regular and timely updates and reports for Head of Operation and other colleagues as needed including grant reporting submissions weekly updates to be provided to Head of Operation and Specialist;
- Under the supervision of the WASH Specialist and Shelter & Infrastructure Coordinator, recruit, provide supervision and coaching/on the job training of the WASH project staff (and other staff as appropriate), and undertake performance appraisals when appropriate;
- Undertake regular field/onsite visits to ensure technical support to WASH staff and proper monitoring of the activities’ implementation in the areas of operation;
- Ensure that project activities develop and are implemented in line with DRC’s mandate, policies, procedures and country strategy, as well as with donors’ requirements and national and international rules and guidelines;
- Contribute to the development of proposals to secure follow on or expansion funding for the WASH portfolio as per identified needs;
- Advocate and support relevant government bodies to encourage monitoring and planning in sustainable use of water resources in areas of intervention;
- Contribute to refining of data collection, monitoring and reporting tools, and to the harmonization of WASH methodologies and tools across the country and/or region;
- Ensure Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach to WASH is consistently applied through community and rights based participatory methods;
- Ensure the respect of DRC Code of Conduct, the confidentiality and humanitarian principles and contribute to the integration and mainstreaming of AGD into DRC WASH programming, as for other programming sectors;
- Engage with relevant national and international actors and actively participate in relevant clusters, sectors and working groups and other meetings in the PM’s areas of operations for the purposes of coordination, fundraising, etc;
- Any other duties as directed by the supervisors.
- University degree or higher education relevant to the technical work of WASH programming e.g. civil engineering, public health, water resource management, etc.
- Professional experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) strategies, policies and implementation modalities and construction contracting/supervision.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity.
- Ability to live and work in a security constrained environment.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in the implementation and management of WASH programming, preferably in an emergency, development and early recovery setting.
- Proven experience of contractor and quality management.
- Experience in international humanitarian work and refugee and/or IDP complex emergencies.
- Experience with managing large and multifaceted teams and providing technical guidance and training.