All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
NRC has been present in Lebanon since 2006 initially assisting Lebanese displaced persons and later Palestinian, Iraqi and Syrian refugees. The programme started with Education and Shelter interventions and, since March 2012, NRC has also Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Collective Site Management and Coordination (CSMC) and WASH Programmes.
In response to the Syria crisis, NRC’s WASH programme aims at improving the access to water, sanitation and hygiene awareness of refugees living in Informal Tented Settlements or Sub-Standard Buildings.
Role and responsibilities:
Under the guidance of the WASH Specialist, and in regular and close communication with the WASH PMs in the field, the WASH Technical Coordinator will help to fulfil NRC’s objectives. His main role will be to perform data analysis of the WASH programme monitoring, to assist the field team with technical drawings and designs to deliver refreshment technical trainings to the WASH team in the field.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Contribute to the development of WASH strategy, Macro LogFrame, and Plan of Action
- Contribute to programme development, adjustment or review
- Conduct WASH specific technical assessment, research and document findings and present recommendations
- Provide WASH technical input to coordination mechanism (e.g. cluster coordination) and working groups
- Develop WASH technical guidance, tools and mechanisms
- Contribute to organisational learning through the provision of specific technical analysis, lessons learned and reports
- Develop training modules and provide specific technical learning and/or training for project staff
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented within NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and report any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action; and contribute to protection needs and trends identification and ensure adequate programmatic response in line with the National Water Strategy
- Ensure that all protection related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the field Protection Coordinator
- Provide support to the technical aspects of the WASH projects according to NRC and Lebanon National strategies, proposals and guidance notes from the WASH Specialist
- Contribute to the drafting and formulation of WASH specific technical trainings for the NRC WASH team, beneficiaries and partners
- Deliver WASH induction trainings to new WASH staff based on WASH Specialist training package and deliver WASH technical refreshment trainings to the field teams as needed
- Support field teams in emergency interventions
- Promote the use of inter-operable technologies (such as Kobo)
- Analyse KAP survey results by producing pivot tables and charts
- Produce maps with GIS software and produce technical designs when needed
- Support the WASH specialist in offering technical advice to all WASH programming in Lebanon and ensure 25% field presence on a monthly basis.
- Develop WASH monitoring dashboards in coordination with the M&E department
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Shelter and Wash Project Managers and Coordinators in the 3 field areas
- M&E Manager, EAL Coordinator, and Information Management Coordinator.
- Programme Management Unit
- Relevant partners and stakeholders
- Logistics, finance and security teams
- Master/ Bachelor degree or equivalent in Civil, Mechanical, Hydraulic, Environmental Engineering or Public Health
- Minimum 3 years of relevant job experience in a similar role, preferably within the humanitarian sector
- Knowledge of relevant concepts of international refugee and human rights law and understanding of protection principles
- Significant understanding of Lebanon’s humanitarian, political and socio-economic context, and main challenges affecting refugees in Lebanon
- Proven experience in coordinating activities and liaising with external actors
- Experience in delivering trainings and capacity building activities
- Proficiency in English and Arabic, both written and spoken
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Access, AutoCAD, Google Sketch-up, WaterCad, Primavera and/or other hydraulic software. Experience with GIS and mapmaking (ArcGIS, Mapinfo) is desired
- Experience with report generation and graphic design (through e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Publisher, InDesign) is an advantage
- Understanding of web-based applications;
- Experience in one or more of the following Software Packages is an added value: Mobenzi Researcher/ Outreach; Kobo Toolbox; RAIS; DHIS2; Activity Info; Tableau; Suite CRM.
- Strategic thinking
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environments