This position is located in Office of Administrative Services at the headquarters of the International Seabed Authority in Kingston, Jamaica. The incumbent will report to the Communications and IT Manager.
Overall, this post ensures the improvement of quality and consistency in providing website advice to all units and the development and maintenance of website functions as well as preparation of related briefs and documents together with the consistent monitoring and troubleshooting of network services and updating documentation related to the network. .
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
The incumbent will administer the website (Internet, Intranet)and LTC secure site) to provide access to relevant and current information in English, French and Spanish and a repository of official documentation in the six official languages of the Authority.
The incumbent will:
- Monitor and update website content;
- Develop and test web-based technology to host multimedia presentations;
- Compile and present interactive electronic information for easy dissemination to website visitors;
- Create new pages, subpages and content in line with website layout and theme;
- Update material for inclusion in appropriate web pages as sources of relevant scientific and technical information and their relevance to the work of the ISA;
- Ensure data security and integrity;
- Track and monitor website usage, and monitor feedback from users;
- Improve the website and present well-reasoned innovative suggestions and approaches in regard to new website initiatives;
- Coordinate with relevant staff for input to the website and liaise with external translators;
- Maintain and update the secure website for members of the Legal and Technical Commission, authorize access to members as required and monitor security and integrity of the site;
- Ensure that the cloud web servers, hardware and software are operating correctly,
- Monitor online traffic and conversions;.Ensure functionality and efficiency of sites and web servers;
- Install, configure, administer, test and deploy physical server hardware and software, including Local Area Network, Operating Systems, Database systems, Internet Web software, firewall, Domain
Name Server (DNS), DHCP, mail relay, Identity Services Engine (ISE), Cisco network switches and NG firewalls, Electronic Video Surveillance and CCTV operations, and various security software and maintain a clear and solid topology to ensure constant and continuous access of official networks;
- Monitor physical and virtual network servers and file structures;
- Assist in the development and implementation of the disaster recovery and business continuity plan(s) in line with cloud capability including security and recovery mechanisms;
- Perform regular backups, monitor network and website databases and administer security issues
- Assist in the development of technical specifications and testing for CITS related procurement;
- Provide CIT support to all ISA conferences, workshops, annual sessions and other related meetings;
- Assist in identifying the need for new systems or re-engineering of the existing systems.
- Maintain the documentation of server and communication systems, pertinent to operations and system administration;
- Assist in the installation and testing for commissioning various telecommunications equipment providing telephony services; monitors and tests the daily electronic operations of PABX equipment and affects corrections as required; prepares wiring layouts documentation, supervising and tests cable plants; programs hardware and software of telephony equipment; wiring diagrams, etc.
- With the CITS team assist in all user and help desk issues.
- Performs other duties as requested
Knowledge of at least two programming languages, basic systems analysis and design techniques, testing, debugging, and documentation standards, database design, storage and internal systems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work..
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national, linguistic and cultural backgrounds with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Willingness to solicit inputs and learn from others, to place team agenda before personal agenda. Willingness to share credit for team accomplishments and joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility of delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A first-level university degree and no experience will be accepted for candidates who have passed the Young Professionals Programme Examination/United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P).
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in the specialized area of assignment (computer science, information systems) is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the Authority. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.