Youth Policy Expert
The Commonwealth Secretariat, Saint Lucia
Closing Date for Applications:
Scope of Work (Outputs and Activities)
- The Commonwealth Fund for Technical Cooperation will provide placement of one long-term Youth Policy Expert for nine months with possibility of extending to a year if found that the required ground work will need more time to develop a robust National Youth Policy.
Expected activities will be:
- Comprehensive review of the current St Lucia national youth policy, and other relevant national youth policies and related materials.
- Consultations with stakeholders, especially a wide variety of young people and youth-serving organisations, to discuss the key development objectives of the National Youth Policy
- Review of Ministry of Youth Development and Sport implementation capacity, covering people and processes
- Identification of gaps in systems, processes and critical human resource capacity in the ministry and others for effective policy implementation and development of plan to effectively address these gaps
- Development of appropriate National Youth Policy attuned to the broader policy and macro-economic environment, with appropriate strategies to ensure management of the policy to facilitate development interventions that will enable young people to fulfil their aspirations and make a positive contribution to society and the post-2015 development agenda in St Lucia.
- Support the Ministry of Youth Development & Sport to create frameworks to identify, gather, collate and store the data required for effective policy development, decision making and monitoring.
Expected outputs of the intervention will be:
- New National Youth Policy for St Lucia with associated implementation plan
- Agreed plan, including scheduling and resource requirements, for improving the implementation capacity of the Ministry of Youth and Sports
- Data gathering and coordination mechanisms in place and key baselines established
- It is also important to note that this expert will be expected to liaise with the CFTC expert currently providing support to the Ministry of Economic Planning and National Development (MEPND) in their National Development Planning. Linking the new Youth Policy to the National Development Plan will obviously be essential to the long-term success of the policy.
- The expert will be based in the Ministry of Youth Development and Sport in Castries reporting on a day-to-day basis to the Director of Youth and Sport with close relations to the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry and working with a dedicated local counterparts within the Ministry. The expert may also need to be supported by short term specialist expertise (local support) in data collection and processing.
- The appointee will be required to submit an inception report to the Secretariat within 6 weeks of commencement of duties. This report will be agreed with the reporting officer and stakeholders and will set the context, work plan and baseline against which we can measure progress during the project period. Subsequent quarterly reports will also be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Post-graduate degree in public policy or other relevant social sciences
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in policy development at national level, especially youth policy
- In-depth knowledge of youth development issues and management in a developing country context, and in the Caribbean Region
- Substantive experience in youth engagement and facilitation.
- High level facilitation and negotiation skills, especially for enabling Ministry of Youth active involvement
- Experience in partnership work.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English