The Senior Technical Advisor for cash/voucher and market based programming will provide critical senior leadership, technical expertise, business intelligence and have responsibility for the coordination and tracking of Disaster Management (DM) Chief CoP cash and market based programming projects with oversight of this emerging project portfolio for assigned region(s). This is critical to the global CVP team’s mandate as it makes a significant strategic contribution to the global rollout and effective implementation of WVI’s global “Cash Roadmap – providing overall global leadership to the organization, irrespective of sector, funding source, donor or geography. S/he will serve as the principal institutional point of contact for DM cash/voucher and market activities, technical guidance to Regional Office (RO) and National Offices (NOs), including resource development support, engagement with bilateral donors, in coordination with Support Office (SO) and NO Grant Acquisition Management (GAM) and other focal points, and will ensure that this new way of working is communicated effectively with required inter-cultural skills. The post holder will also help NO’s develop partnerships and agreements with financial service providers and mobile network operators in various contexts, based on sound assessment and vetting processes and protocols. The Snr. Technical Advisor shall have a very good understanding of aid organization (including UN) and private sector dynamics related to cash/voucher and market based programming and work carefully and collaboratively to support stakeholders as appropriate.
- The position holder will deploy to the field up to 30%-40% of his/ her time to assist and promote Cash Voucher Programming (CVP) in emergency or recovery operations, s/he may have to liaise with or manage a team of technical staff and will engage with the response leadership to ensure quality, timeliness and efficiency of all cash and market related activities. Such work will include pre-positioning of CVP capacity and providing technical guidance, including oversight for market assessments and market strengthening activities as well as related procurement functions, context-specific approaches for cash/voucher transfers and the use of digital technology as appropriate, facilitate tracking and reporting of CVP with designated geographies.
- This role will work as integral part of the CVP team in coordination with the humanitarian operations team, linking with technical specialist resource staff (CP, WASH, food etc.) for multipurpose as well as multi-sector CVP), collaborate with the Systems and Capabilities’ teams to ensure technical input into systems’ and process development and strategic organizational capacity building and training of field cash/voucher/ market analysis and digital capacities, as well as with the External Engagement & Resource Development Team for joint identification of and successful acquisition of resources. This position coordinates and provides senior technical guidance to SO, GC (including TSO) and RO, NO focal points that plan to utilize CVP and market based approaches in their programming, and thus, is expected to keep a “line of sight” on all relevant CVP-related activities within his/ her designated areas of focus.
CVP Strategic Guidance and Oversight to Field for Impact:
- Lead the organisation in CVP-market-based responses and disaster management irrespective of sector, funding source, donor or geography - promoting integration and partnerships, evidence of impact, and organizational policy influence to effectively address children’s and their caregiver’s vulnerabilities, strengthening resilience.
- Provide global and regional leadership on prioritization of CVP in FOs and SOs, with influence and coordination in the development, dissemination and promotion and implementation of WVI’s strategic global CVP roadmap, standards and tools (and relevant adaptation for Fragile Contexts (FCs) for quality assurance.
- Lead globally and at regional levels focusing on Field Offices with (remote and on-site technical) advice and expertise to stakeholders for market assessments, project design, start-up, phase-in, phase-out, communications, monitoring, humanitarian accountability and evaluation of DM CVP related activities, sector-outcomes, addressing basic needs with MPCA and their contribution to CWBOs in alignment with WVI’s Cash Roadmap.
- Work with relevant internal and external stakeholders to ensure appropriate collaboration with private sector, Government stakeholders – including (support in assessment, vetting of) financial service providers (FSPs), Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) for scaling the delivery of CVP and expanding CVP and market-based programming quality, with building block pathways to DRR, financial inclusion and social protection mechanisms across WVI, strengthening the Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus.
Cash Preparedness & Capacity Building for Scale-up/ Reach:
- Provide guidance and collaborate with SO IPG teams and Regional (RO) and target Field Offices to implement global CVP roadmap and develop, conduct training in CVP methodologies and concepts, including market analysis, programme design, monitoring, humanitarian accountability and evaluation, irrespective of sector, donor, funding source, ensuring scale-up of reach, ensuring cash-readiness of Field, Support and Regional offices.
- Guide the incorporation of appropriate delivery processes, preparedness plans for scaling the use of CVP in response and recovery programmes globally in respective FOs, SOs.
- Support other units at global and regional and national levels (Reporting, Finance, GAM, Sectors, etc.) to build required capacity to develop generic and contextualised internal operating and financial procedures, tools and guidelines for effective standardised use and tracking/ reporting of CVP and market based solutions.
- Mentor other Field, Support office and global surge capacity staff members across functions in CVP. Facilitate capacity building and training activities for CVP and market based programming, based on new CVP Capacity Building Framework with appropriate tools and through blended learning to establish a pool of global “cash champions”.
Support to Emergency Response & Recovery Operations:
- Deploy and/ or provide technical assistance globally on-site and provide leadership in priority disaster preparedness and responses as well as Fragile Contexts as required (and provide ongoing remote support as required post deployment/on-site TA) to:
- Lead or facilitate market assessment for CVP intervention.
Provide technical support in ROA, CVP delivery.
- Lead or facilitate CVP donor engagement with technical advise, project design, implementation and review based on context and market analysis and advise on use of tools and systems (including CVP-related MEAL) in coordination with NO & response management, based on inter-agency coordination in emergency responses and designated geographies.
- Guide FO/ RO to effectively engage with external partners on CVP coordination (Cash Working Group, Clusters, CCD mechanisms, etc., research, policy, guidance and initiatives and ensure dissemination to internal stakeholders (including leveraging social safety nets).
- Advise on establishment of systems and tools, assessments, technical support to proposals, identification of key technical CVP/ market based programming staff during Cat III emergency response and support other responses.
- Advise FO/ NO on vetting and negotiations with service and supply contracts, for example with local vendors, mobile network operators (MNOs), financial service providers (FSPs), digital service providers etc.
Pre-position and grow WV’s US$ portfolio and influence with (donor) partners, through coordination & thought-leadership (internal & external):
- Work with GC DM capacity & capability staff, GAM, as well as sector specialists in GC DM TRT to support RO, FO staff in allocated geographies to ensure that CVP capabilities are integrated into project design work, sector specific technical guidance, and effective grant acquisition and implementation (start-up and ongoing) through timely donor-intelligence and engagement.
- Guide global, regional and national office CVP technical engagement with bilateral, private donors, support multilateral donor and technical partner engagements with NO & RO cash focal points and inter-agency working group mechanisms to enhance overall pre-crises market analysis and cash coordination, and WV’s positioning with external stakeholders (UN, Governments, bi-lateral donors, (I)NGOs, private sector.
- Engage externally, pro-actively serve as subject-matter-expert driving innovation in regional, global discussion fora, conferences as feasible (regional CWGs/ SPWGs, CaLP, CCD, Grand Bargain workstreams, etc.) and support WVI’s global sector experts in their Cluster Cash/ Market TaskForce function.
- Contribute to organisational learning to help build WVs credibility and influence in CVP and market based programming.
- Encourage and facilitate the documentation, publication of best practices and lessons learned, directed toward multiple audiences, to influence policy formation, support advocacy messaging and develop capacity of FOs to do the same.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Degree or post graduate qualification and / or professional background in CVP design, implementation, humanitarian work, finance, economics, international development, or other relevant field.
- 10 years of international humanitarian experience managing grant-funded projects preferred.
- Knowledge of, and expertise in CVP delivery modalities, use of (digital) technologies and methodologies, contracting and procurement.
- Extensive understanding of payment systems, procedures and financial compliance issues, risk management of CVP.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills plus strong presentation and report writing skills in English, French or Arabic, Spanish language skills desirable.
- Proficiency in computer & online tools including Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes (or similar software), email, internet.
- Demonstrated excellent inter-personal and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills relevant to guidance of strategic documents, tools, guidance notes.
- Demonstrated accomplishment in working in challenging humanitarian contexts, with sound inter-cultural skills, with various host-country professionals, Government, UN, NGO, academia, private sector in inter-agency networks and bilaterally.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with international assistance programme requirements.
- Extensive experience working in international humanitarian operations.
- Experience in inter-agency network, consortia and donor-led working groups.
- Experience in an advisory, management / project management position.
- Experience with procurement / contracting and supply chain management implementation processes.
Required: Effective in written and verbal communication in English, French, Proficiency in other languages are highly desirable (e.g. Spanish, Arabic).
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience in organizational development, change management, programme design, budgeting, financial analysis and project planning and management.
- Ability to regionally, and globally and cross-functional exert influence, coordinate and build strategies, tools and a cohesive CVP specialist field teams during on and off-deployment time), with clear deliverables and outputs that can be replicated and scaled up in the future.
- Experience in donor engagement, resource acquisition / funding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and great communicator.
- Demonstrated experience with implementing CVP and market based strategies for humanitarian and/or development programming (e.g. multipurpose cash or in sectors such as child protection, WASH, Social Protection, Financial Services, Enterprise Development and Community Development).
- Understanding and experience of global trends and existing payment solutions (e.g. mobile money, mobile banking, e-vouchers, prepaid cards, point of sale devices or other alternative delivery channels as well as mobile capture of survey data or delivery of marketing and/or extension information, strategic alliances with private sector or social venture capital businesses.
- Good knowledge in social safety net, social protection programming and policy support.
- Understanding of the benefits of as well as organizational barriers to using mobile and other approaches for the successful implementation of cash and voucher based assistance.
- Experience researching, designing and implementing mobile strategies that connect the economic base of the pyramid with formal and/or semi-formal economic activity (i.e. financial inclusion models).
- Understanding of key challenges for MNOs and/or financial institutions in rolling out mobile and other finance platforms in rural areas, and ability to negotiate with these stakeholders effectively.
- Experience at training upper and middle management on such topics as action planning, business development, business planning, financial performance and business valuation.
- Good understanding of micro lending and business planning as well as a comparison of national level electronic-readiness and policy performances in developing countries. Knowledge of programming resources and tools leading to project model development.