Communications/Public Information Assistant
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Panama City, Panama
Closing Date for Applications:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons interested in applying for this position must be Panamanian Nationals or must be legally present in Panama at the time of application, recruitment and hire. Non-Panamanian citizens are required to attach a valid work permit to be considered for this vacancy.
Duties and Qualifications
- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established by the United Nations Assembly on December 14, 1950. The agency is mandated to direct and coordinate international action to protect and safeguard the rights and welfare of refugees and stateless persons worldwide. In seven decades, the agency has helped more than tens of millions of people restart their lives. For more information on UNHCR, its mandate and operations
- The Office of the Regional Bureau of the Americas based in Panama seeks to support and strengthen the capacity of governments to meet the needs of over 5 million refugees and migrants from Venezuela as well as coordinate the multiple efforts made by the international community to support protection and assistance to the displaced population of Venezuela.
- The Communication/PI Assistant will report to the Communication/PI Officer for the Venezuela Situation and will have regular contacts within the office/unit involving exchange of information. S/he will also have limited external contacts on routine matters.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- Act as focal point for donor visibility matters in the region. Keep track of donor visibility efforts and assist colleagues in the region when needed.
- Preparation of a daily media monitoring that consolidates the latest news and political developments in the region that have an impact on the Venezuelan situation for refugees and migrants as well as on UNHCR's work in the region.
- Assist in the production of content through video editing, data visualization and information through the creation of basic infographics and the design of other standardized visibility products.
- Support content management and maintenance of repositories, common databases and the web portal, ensuring timely updating of documents shared by UNHCR offices in the region.
- Assist in the translation of documents from English to Spanish and vice versa.
- Classify and maintain adequate stock of PI materials and promote distribution of merchandise where appropriate.
- Provide clerical assistance with regard to PI events such as poster campaigns, exhibitions, and public awareness raising events.
- Assist inter-agency communication initiatives
- Perform other duties as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Internal communications. Produce a daily media coverage (Monday-Friday), as well as NFFs after Venezuela Situation communications calls (bi-weekly), and Press Clippings (special visits/events).
- External communications. Assist in the creation of the R4V Newsletter (bi-weekly), helping improve the number of highly engaged subscribers. Assist in the creation of content for antixenophobia campaign as well monitoring number of posts, reach, engagement of the different related accounts.
Qualifications and Experience
Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training in Business Administration, Journalism, Social Science, Communications, Graphic Design, International Affairs or related field.
- Minimum 1-2 years of previous relevant job experience.
- Advanced university degree and/or master¿s degree may be considered towards work experience.
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
- Communication and computer skills.
- Excellent drafting skills as well as translation and interpreting skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of Spanish
- Level of knowledge and use of MS Office: High
- Level of design and editing tools (Adobe package): Intermediate
- Spanish and English level: High
- Good writing and spelling in Spanish and English
- Familiarity in the use of social networks
- Database management
- Excellent interpersonal relationships, ability to work in teams, responsibility and discipline, high degree of confidentiality, loyalty to the Organization, training in ethical values, conduct and principles that allow it to maintain impartiality and interact appropriately with international / national officials, maintaining the Respect for different cultures and ideologies.
- Please also note that English and Spanish are essential for this Job Opening.