Assistant to the Resident Coordinator
United Nations Secretariat , Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe
Closing Date for Applications:
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
BUDGET AND FINANCE:
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations).
- May be responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
- Audits the contractors' invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
- Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments.
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
- Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Seven years of experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is required.
- Experience in the provision of high-level secretarial services is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.