Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly in terms of volume of activity and complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London we now attract over£121min income, and employ around 145 domestic and expatriate field team members.The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Finance team plays a critical role in sustaining and enabling MCE's growth through the support it provides to Field Teams and HQ departments. All management accounting for European grants is managed by the team, in addition to the financial accounting functions, payables, receivables and cash management.
We are looking for a Finance Officer (Accounts Payable) to join us. Reporting to our HQFinance Officer, the Finance Officer is primarily responsible for:
- The purchase ledger and inter-agency billing, ensuring prompt settlement and reconciliation of purchase invoices, inter-agency transactions and timeous monthly close of the purchase ledger;
- Setting up bank payments and cash book management;
- We are looking for an ambitious accounting or finance professional, with some experience of working in a busy finance team, who is interested in a career in the NGO sector. This is an opportunity to be involved in finance work that is fast-paced, and to be part of a diverse, dedicated team of people who are genuinely motivated by making a difference. You will be someone with a positive, can-do approach, who enjoys the pressure of working together as a team to tight deadlines. Strong communication skills are vital, as you will be operating in a truly international environment. Experience of accountancy packages software and strong Excel skills are key.
- You will not only have the right experience on paper but also the right personal 'fit' - you will live and breathe our culture and values, with a visible passion for the work we do and a desire to be part of our story.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Invoice & Expense Management & Processing
- Efficient management of the invoicing email inbox
- Review and upload purchase invoices daily ensuring they are compliant, correctly approved, authorised and filed.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of processing by undertaking statement reconciliations, aged creditors reconciliations and overall creditor management
- Investigate queries from suppliers and those arising as a result of reconciliations in month to ensure transactions are timeously captured in the relevant month.
- Work with the Finance Systems Manager in developing related procedures and processes.
- Develop and deliver induction and on-going training to staff, on all aspects of purchasing processes and procedures.
- Respond to staff queries on procurement policy or procedures.
Banking, Payments and Finance
- Set up and management of regular pay runs and invoice payments
- Daily update of cashbook and bank account management
- Processing of international salary payments
- Assist the finance team with month-end and year-end processing of financial data.
- Ensure the intercompany billing is carried out to timescale, including backup, on a monthly basis and that the resultant cash settlement is reconciled.
- Manage the filing systems efficiently filing all the paperwork in the most appropriate manner throughout the processing process.
- Arrange the archiving of purchase ledger documents in line with statutory requirements.
- As part of the department’s commitment to continuous improvement, all staff are encouraged to be proactive and lead on ad hoc HQ projects aimed at streamlining processes or increasing efficiency. As part of the HQ Finance Team, the Officer will work with the HQ Finance Systems Manager on developing, streamlining, and documenting policies, processes and procedures
- As part of the MCE annual statutory audit liaise with external audit as required.
- Meet key performance indicator targets for purchase ledger.
- Act as basic cover for the HQ Finance Officer in their absence.
- Produce ad hoc reports on expenditure and suppliers as required.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Reports Directly To: HQ Finance Officer
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTICIPANTS AND STAKEHOLDERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
- Minimum of 2-4 years of professional experience in a fast-paced office environment, with emphasis on accounts payable
- Understanding or working knowledge of accounting concepts (double entry and transaction postings)
- Experience of best practice in accounts payable
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills required, including familiarity with MS Word, Excel, Raiser’s Edge and PowerPoint; comfort with IT functions a plus.
- Multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and cooperatively with team members and the ability to take direction as well as work independently.
- Overseas, international, non-profit experience and/or interest preferred as are candidates with a healthy sense of humor.
- Experience in SUN systems an advantage.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Systematic, with a strong eye for detail.
- Can work quickly, accurately and to deadlines.
- Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships.
- Strong team worker and communicator.
- Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice, and work well under pressure.
- Proactive and solutions-based attitude.
- High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience.
- An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC's mission.