Human Resources Assistant
United Nations Secretariat, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Process, monitor and follow-up on actions related to the administration of human resource activities, including recruitment of staff, promotion, transfer, assignment, special post allowance, extension of contract, separation, performance appraisal, ensuring consistency in the application of United Nations rules and procedures; process personnel actions in UMOJA, to reflect staff movements.
- Respond to inquiries, provide information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities under the Staff Rules and Regulations and related administrative procedures; monitor and maintain attendance records of staff members, including overtime and compensatory time off and confirmation of balances at end of service, both manually and in UMOJA.
- Review monthly staffing tables and monthly payroll lock reports for corrective actions as necessary; liaise with clients and prepare travel requests for on-boarding travel for staff and consultants.
- Draft correspondence in response to inquiries related to relevant administrative, personnel matters. Liaise extensively with counterparts in other Offices in the UN Secretariat; maintain personnel working files for current staff members; process requests for UN ID cards, laissez-passers, certificates and visas.
- Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions; including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, and conducting preliminary interviews, and conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
- Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verification, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
- Assists in organizing and coordinating competitive recruitment examinations.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and tracking status of vacancy announcements.
- Reviews and processes requests for entitlements and claims.
- Conducts exit interviews for separating staff and assists him/her in final arrangements.
- Maintains HR related automated systems and applications including automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters.
- Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting.
- Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments.
- Adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Must have passed the Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away from Headquarters.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
- Experience in the application of human resources policies, regulations and rules in the role of an Human Resources Assistant is required.
- Experience with the HR module of Umoja as an HR Assistant is desirable.
- Experience in staffing administration and recruitment using Inspira is desirable.
- Experience administering contracts, travel, benefits and entitlements to a diverse set of clients in a UN setting or similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience in an HR role within an Executive Office or HR offices of the United Nations Secretariat is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.