In Somalia, the World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 500 employees who contribute to make Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates only. Female candidates, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Area Office and overall supervision of the ICT Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; support any technology upgrades.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge and build awareness of industry developments.
- Carry-out system and equipment maintenance tasks, such as back-up system data and system protection, to ensure they are running effectively and enable easy and efficient use.
- Receive and inspect all incoming assets for Cash-based Transfers (CBT) and report discrepancies to senior colleagues and partner Units.
- Perform basic beta testing and support the roll-out of new versions of centrally supported systems to ensure the software is operational for WFP staff.
- Ensure information is up to date and accurate within inventories, databases, websites, and archives to support senior officers in handling these systems.
- Support in collating information to be included in standard material such as training documentation and web content, to give to the availability of information about services and products.
- Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice, and ensuring Technology (TEC) policies, procedures, systems, and tools are accurately applied.
- Support the capacity building of staff through the organization and review of training programs sought at developing skills/knowledge.
- Receive lists of potential mobile money beneficiaries from DAS Lead or alternate, review, compare and validate names from SCOPE against those from the Mobile Network Operator.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Other Post Requirements:
- Take the de-facto Area Office technical team leadership role in ICT responsibilities for Cash & Voucher (C&V) interventions through SCOPE.
- Take ownership of all Scope equipment under custody, ensuring its functionality and accountability.
- Detail all equipment loans to Partners and Traders in accordance with corporate standards.
- Support Partners with Point-Of-Sale (POS) devices by providing training to Traders, Cooperating Partners, and other Partner Humanitarian Agencies;
- Closely follow-up with Global Scope Service Desk on all ICT issues and in collaboration with the dedicated ICT Officer – Operations;
- Actively coordinate all Scope Equipment and Staff in view of Programme priorities and as mandated by the Area or Country Office dedicated Working Group;
- Ensure that all technical information is shared timely to all team members.
- Proven knowledge and ability to effectively use basic software packages and commonly used office equipment.
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures governing ICT services.
- Knowledge of IT service desk tools and operational procedures is advantageous.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience: At least four years of progressively responsible work experience in the implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related area. Basic training and/or experience in standard WFP Beneficiary and Transfers Management systems. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.