OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Department of Financial Resources Management (FRM) oversees the financial transactions of the Organization by establishing its financial regulations and rules, as well as the accounting policies and procedures; processes the disbursements of funds; prepares the financial statements of the Organization including the reporting of regular funds and extra-budgetary funds; monitors the inflow of funding and utilization of these resources; is responsible for investments and banking, financial analysis, the monitoring of the cost centers’ financial administration, payroll, pension and taxes, Staff Health Insurance, and the processes and systems involved with FRM’s area of responsibility.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Finance Specialist (FRM/AR) and the direct supervision of the Finance Specialist, Procurement Funds (AR/F), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Perform a wide range of financial transactions within the Accounting Unit (FRM/AR), which includes PAHO Accounts, WHO Accounts and Procurement Funds; process, review, amend and monitor financial and budgetary transactions in assigned business processes in accordance with established policy, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), job aids and agreements; record and validate information and financial data;
- Process and audit receipts, collections and payments to/from vendors, employees, or Member States: process salaries, awards, grants, sponsors, entitlements, claims, taxes, pensions, or expense reports, etc. according to established procedures. Review, process and amend budget operations, pre-obligations and obligations. Scrutinize source documents for completeness, accuracy and validity; analyze and monitor costs, revenue, journal sources and expense items; prepare bulk data for upload using Enterprise Interface Builders (EIBs);
- Analyze and reconcile ledger accounts, funds, bank accounts, awards assigned and ensure necessary corrections or adjustments are made; record journal entries, as needed and ensure proper clearance procedures;
- Assist and guide staff, vendors and customers in areas of work assigned; draft routine or advanced reports and correspondence; monitor the team mailbox and ensure timely response to incoming messages; prepare responses to the queries received through Service Request System (SRS);
- Generate, review, and assist in the creation, validation and maintenance of custom financial reports, consolidating data from different sources; prepare and send reports and worksheets;
- Research, analyze and resolve accounting problems in consultation with supervisors, finance specialists, technical units, and country offices, as needed; investigate erroneous charges and take corrective actions;
- Prepare, approve or certify disbursements up to designated authorized level and/or establish awards and/or perform procurement processes, as required;
- Prepare and maintain SOPs and Job Aids for assigned functions;
- Participate in periodic testing of system updates and configuration changes;
- Contribute to the monthly and annual closing process and annual financial statements, including the review of schedules and notes;
- Train other staff and cover assignments in the absence of team members, as required;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Essential: Certificate of completion of high school.
- Desirable: Specialized training at the college, university or business school level with emphasis on accounting and/or finance would be an asset.
- Essential: Six years of experience in accounting and/or finance work, or four years of experience in accounting and/or finance work, and one year of college or university level training towards a declared major/minor in the area of accounting or finance, or two years of experience in accounting and/or finance work, and two years of specialized training at the college, university, or business school level in accounting and/or finance.
- Desirable: Experience working with Workday Financial Management Modules and/or with IPSAS would be an asset.
- Very good knowledge of English and Spanish.