Information Analysis Officer
Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe , Kyiv, Ukraine
Closing Date for Applications:
The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
- Diplomatic experience or experience working in political affairs with international organizations or governments
- Experience in preparing analytical reports
- Excellent communication and drafting skills
- Knowledge of regional political history and developments
- Diplomatic and negotiating skills
- Some knowledge of the OSCE principles and commitments
- Level of Professional Competence Requirements
- Furthermore, this level of responsibility requires the following:
- First-level university education in international studies, public policy, political science or law or related fields
- Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience
Mission Specific Requirements
Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
- Prior military experience and/or experience in analysis in militarized/conflict settings;
- Thorough understanding of regional political-military issues, such as security arrangements, confidence- and security-building measures, arms control and CIMIC;
- Experience in advising civilian actors on conflict issues and analysis;
- Experience in working in international affairs;
- Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, and drafting skills;
- Professional fluency in English, both oral and written, and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, and demanding work environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality objectives as well as the ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, diverse environment and ability to maintain harmonious work environment and team spirit;
- Ability to work effectively and inclusively in high stress environments;
- Ability to operate Windows applications including MS Word, Excel, Outlook as well as familiarity with internet search engines and techniques.
- Working knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian language(s) is a distinct advantage;
- Familiarity with OSCE policies, procedures, practices and organizational structure;
- Experience of working in Eastern Europe and/or knowledge of the region.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- The Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM), in line with the OSCE Action Plan for the Promotion of Gender Equality, is committed to further improving gender balance among staff in all areas and levels within the SMM. We encourage qualified applicants, especially women to apply for this position.
- If applicable, deployment is subject to attendance to and successful completion of pre-deployment training and assessment.
- Applicants are hereby notified that the Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) is designated by the OSCE as a nonfamily duty station. This designation is based on the fluid and dynamic working environment in the SMM. The currently prevailing working conditions in the duty station may include working in a hazardous location with extended hours of service, and possibly curtailed freedom of movement. Successful candidates who are appointed to locations deemed by the OSCE as hazardous will receive hazard pay. In addition, all successful candidates will be required to participate in the OSCE accident and life insurance scheme in accordance with the OSCE Staff Regulations and Staff Rules.
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Head of the Reporting and Political Analysis Unit and in close co-operation with Political Analysts and Trend Analysts, and the Operations Unit, including Verification Officers, as Information Analysis Officer, you will provide analytical support to the Senior Management of the Mission. This includes analysis of conflict/security dynamics, technical expertise in the relevant field, supporting the Special Monitoring Mission's (SMM) monitoring capacity, and support to the Mission's monitoring and reporting tasks.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following:
- Regular analysis of the conflict and security situation, and its dynamics in eastern Ukraine;
- Supporting and advising Senior Management, Reporting and Political Analysis and Operations Units on the implications of this conflict and security analysis, possible effects on the Missions activities and planning, including on operational safety considerations, the provision of recommendations, and reviewing relevant products produced by the Mission;
- Researching, monitoring and analysing open source information;
- Preparing reports based on data collected by the Mission;
- Preparing assessments of current short- and long-term trends based on collected data;
- Performing other duties as requested.