The post is located in the FAO Office in Kiev, Ukraine, where the FAO has with no official Representation. The FAO Ukraine Office is headed by the Regional Programme Leader (RPL) for Europe and Central Asia as de-facto head of FAO Ukraine, and assists the government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Regional Programme Leader for Europe and Central Asia in Budapest (FAO REU), and close collaboration with the Head of FAO Office in Ukraine (FAOUA), and the technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) at FAO REU.
Value chain finance, microfinance, rural development, agricultural extension, policy dialogue related to the Project GCP /UKR/012/EC “Inclusive, competitive and sustainable value chain development in agriculture, fisheries and forestry”.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support technical cooperation-related programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
- Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned technical cooperation-related programmes/projects; review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
- Coordinates technical cooperation activities and programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for their implementation and leads the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
- Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
- Provides advice regarding the development of policies and strategies related to technical cooperation, as well as regional, sub regional and national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
- Leads the preparation and submission of the Inception Report of Project within the established deadline by the donor;
- Finalises the revision of the Project Document of the Project, including stakeholder analysis, investment needs assessment and logical framework;
- Produces an operations manual of the matching grants scheme for the Project;
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or a related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation' s related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
- Extent and relevance of experience in value chain finance, microfinance and policy dialogue;
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams
- Working knowledge of Russian is considered an asset.