Public Information Officer
United Nations Secretariat , New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Within delegated authority and depending on location, the Public Information Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
- Ensures implementation of social media activities to promote priority issues and/or major events;
- Ensures daily monitoring, community management and engagement on UN global social platforms, monitoring and reporting on progress, and taking appropriate follow-up action;
- Oversees daily messaging and outreach on UN global social platforms to increase visibility of the Organization’s work and its issues;
- Monitors and analyzes social media impact and trends to ensure an agile approach; identifies issues and trends and advises management on appropriate action/responses;
- Participates in development and implementation of social media strategies for campaigns on priority issues, in line with global communications guidance;
- Produces or oversees production of social media assets through undertaking research, determining appropriate platforms and target audiences, preparing production plans, writing drafts, and obtaining clearances;
- Initiates and sustains professional relationships with key constituencies, including social platforms and UN partners such as digital agencies; and works with external partners to prepare for special events and initiatives;
- Acts as focal point on social media issues, including monitoring and reporting on developments, responding to inquiries and providing guidance and advice to senior UN officials;
- Participates in the Department at inter-agency meetings and events, and speaking engagements;
- Provides training to new staff members and junior staff as needed;
- Undertakes official travel to provide support on social media as needed, including with senior officials;
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise, more junior staff and interns.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of the full range of communications approaches, tools, and methodologies essential to planning and executing effective campaign strategies and programmes, e.g. campaign management, media operations, marketing and promotion, audience outreach, message targeting. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Ability to identify public affairs issues, opportunities and risks in an international environment. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships. Knowledge of relevant policies and business activities/issues. Ability to manage global social media outreach in a professional setting. Ability to implement social media campaigns. Ability to monitor and report on social media trends and impact. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area is required.
- Experience managing professional social media presence in an international setting is required.
- Experience implementing global social media campaigns is required.
- Experience initiating and sustaining partnerships with social media platforms is desirable.
- Experience providing advice to and producing social media content for senior leadership in an international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.