Internship - Public Information
United Nations Secretariat , New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Within the delegated authority the Public Information intern will perform the following duties:
- Assist with the Office’s efforts, through communications, to build awareness and support for the advocacy work of the SRSG including with Member States, donors, media and the policy community.
- Provide support in tasks including media monitoring and analysis, drafting and editing of content for print, web and multimedia, events and publications.
- Assist with updates to the Office's website and social media.
- Assist in organizing special events at the UN focusing on CAAC related themes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different nationals and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from client’s point of view.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
- Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
Candidates should be computer literate in standard software applications. They should also have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter and have demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the internship position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.