The Global Coffee Platform (GCP) is an inclusive multi-stakeholder sustainability platform that convenes coffee stakeholders, priorities sustainability issues and catalyzes local action and progress measurement in collaboration with country platforms to create a thriving and sustainable coffee sector. The members of the Global Coffee Platform include farmers and farmer organizations, trade (exporters and importers), industry (coffee roasters and retailers), other supply chain actors, civil society, coffee associations and others.
Role & Responsibilities
GCP is looking for a qualified and enthusiastic candidate to coordinate and oversee the GCP team in Vietnam, to ensure the strategic development and implementation of all GCP related activities in Vietnam as defined in the yearly Vietnam Country Plan. GCP’s focus in Vietnam is on supporting and strengthening the national platform (Vietnam Coffee Coordination Board), advancing measurement of the adoption of sustainability practices as defined in the National Sustainability Curriculum, and driving initiatives and investments to address sustainability gaps effectively in collaboration (GCP Member Initiatives). Additionally, the Program Manager Vietnam is responsible for excellent collaboration with and engagement of members and partners, especially governmental organizations. The Manager Vietnam reports to the Director of Programs and Corporate Partnerships (Deputy Director).
Key responsibilities include:
- Official chief representative of GCP in Vietnam with the coordination and oversight role of the implementation of all GCP related activities in Vietnam; - Under the strategic guidance of GCP Vietnam Advisor in 2019 (IDH Coffee Program Manager), steers the implementation of the country plan for Vietnam, especially on the further improvement of the national platform, national sustainability curricula, and creation, facilitation and implementation of Member Initiatives. In 2019, the Program Manager Vietnam closely works with GCP’s Vietnam Technical Advisor to deliver the second pilot for the measurement system; - Contributes to the development of GCP national/regional strategies, Operational Plans, coordinates implementation and ensures delivery of the Country Plan; - Responsible for the day-to-day management of staff within the Vietnam
- Team and acting as a positive role model; - Enhances internal and external communication and information flows, representing and promoting GCP at relevant meetings & conferences; - Promotes and improves visibility of GCP in Vietnam, by maintaining adequate communication with members, partners and relevant other stakeholders, coordinating cooperation and attending or participating in key coffee events; - Establishes, maintains and intensifies strategic relationship with public andprivate partners and oversees the coordination of joint activities;
- Identifies potential project/initiatives approaches in line with the Vietnamese sustainability agenda and based on prioritized local and global sustainability issues; elaborates and contributes to funding proposals, including pre-project assessments and gap analyses, in cooperation with GCP Members and the GCP Secretariat in Bonn; - Responsible for country budget and workplans; regular reporting (narrative
- and financial) to GCP Secretariat.
Profile & qualifications
- Master’s degree in Trade, Economics, Agronomy, rural development or related field; - 15 years of work experience in the agricultural sector with a minimum of 8 years of experience in managing large-scale coffee/agricultural sector improvement programs, including work planning, budgeting and guiding & training local staff; - Credibility and broad network in the Vietnamese coffee sector (senior level
- contacts both on public and private side); - Ability and track record to effectively guide and support complex change processes involving people and organizations from public and private sectors; - Connection to key international and Vietnamese stakeholders and experience and proven track record in building alliances and initiatives between them; - Knowledge of agricultural policies and key international institutions working
- in sustainable agriculture especially coffee; - Excellent representational skills and ability to interpret and communicate the principles of sustainability to multicultural audiences and stakeholder groups; - Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Vietnamese and English; Experience in M&E and sustainability measurement or in adult training systems, training and organizational development is an additional advantage; - Availability to travel nationally & internationally; - Ability to work self-motivated, independently and in a team towards defined
- objectives and goals; - Results-oriented approach, positive thinking and good teamwork spirit; - Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Power Point and Excel;
- working knowledge of Office 365; - The ideal candidate for this position will be perceived as “neutral” as to not being perceived to represent certain interests (ideological, market related, political) other than advancing sustainable coffee production to improve coffee farmers’ livelihoods & the environment; - Based in Vietnam and working permit for Vietnam. - Passion for coffee!
- Our offer The Global Coffee Platform offers a collaborative, dynamic environment, driven by dedicated international staff that are committed to advancing the long-term sustainability of the coffee sector.
- Contract: Full-time position (40 hours/week); we offer a two-year contract, with the possibility of extension. An attractive salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant, commensurate with skills and qualifications, embedded in the GCP internal salary structure. - Starting date: as soon as possible - Location: GCP’s Vietnam office is located in Hanoi.
How to apply
Please send your application in English (letter of motivation, Curriculum Vitae, reference letters or reference contact details) with likely start date and salary indication by email to staff(a)globalcoffeeplatform.org. Please refer to “Program Manager Vietnam” in the subject line of your email. The deadline for applications is December 16th, 2018. Applications will be treated with all due discretion.
For more information about the Global Coffee Platform please visit: www.globalcoffeeplatform.org