United Nations Secretariat, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Financial Risk Management Services (FRMS), Finance Division (FD), Office of Programme Planning, Finance and Budget (OPPFB), Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance Office (DMSPC) of the United Nations Office in New York.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Treasurer and Chief of Financial Risk Management Service.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT:
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Responds to enquiries and provides information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements.
BUDGET AND FINANCE:
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
- Prepares or customizes financial reports.
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems;).
- May be responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
- Audits the contractors' invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
- Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in Administrative Services, Human Resources, Finance and Treasury operations or related area is required.
- Experience in procurement, contract managements or vendor payments is required.
- Experience supporting budget preparation, monitoring, and performance reporting is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.