The Operations and Finance Associate (G6) role forms part of the MPTFO Finance and Operations Team, which collectively supports MPTFO’s fund initiation and administration services and management of MPTFO’s internal finance functions The role focuses on effective stewardship of fund resources and supports strategic management through conducting portfolio data analysis and interpretation. Additionally the role supports the internal office financial management through executing and supporting team based activities related to business unit MDTF1.
The MPTF Office is the UN center of expertise on pooled financing mechanisms. It supports development effectiveness and UN coherence through the efficient, accountable and transparent design and administration of innovative pooled financing instruments. It also provides additional services, such as data and analytics on UN finance and secretarial support services. Housed within UNDP, the MPTF Office is firewalled from all UN implementing entities, UNDP included.
The MPTF Office current portfolio is about $ 11 billion in total (US$ 0.8 to 1 billion/year) and includes about 80 ongoing pooled financing mechanisms (country-level and global MDTFs, Joint Programmes and National Funds), established for humanitarian, development, development and climate change activities. The MPTF Office has put in place a number of tools and systems to support its fund administration services, including a separate General Ledger Business Unit in ATLAS (MDTF1) and the MPTF Office GATEWAY (see mptf.undp.org).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cross portfolio analysis and implementation
- Complete assigned MDTF1 new-year opening processes in collaboration with the lead Associate for MDTF1
- Complete assigned MDTF1 year-end closure processes that are not fund specific in collaboration with the lead Associate for MDTF1
- Complete monthly MDTF1 inter-fund reconciliation as back-up
- Analyse and interpret MPTFO data on fund administration of the MPTFO portfolio to support management decision making
- Contribute to MDTF1 business process design including tools for implementation to generate on-going and maintain current efficiency and productivity gains across the portfolio
- Complete other tasks as assigned to support implementation of the strategic plan and business continuity of the finance and operations team
For funds under an assigned portfolio (or in support of the team)
- Implement all activities in accordance with UNDP’s financial Regulations and Rules, MPTFO’s Operations manual and the office Internal Control Framework issued by the Executive Coordinator
- Accurately record donor earmarking and Steering Committee allocations
- Conduct a financial review of Fund Transfers (including reconciliations) or refunds to donors and maintain office KPI on timeliness of transfers; Prepare financial transactions in Atlas and transfer notifications
- Identify Participating Organisation (PO) refunds/interest for assigned funds/POs in collaboration with the lead Associate for refunds/interest and the Treasury and Finance Associate
- Provide advice and support to a variety of internal and external stakeholders to resolve finance related fund issues
- Complete provide review of General Ledger data to ensure data integrity and accuracy, including mid-year and year-end closure workpapers
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and/or Finance.
- University degree in Finance or Accounting desirable.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage
- Candidates may be requested to sit the UNDP Accounting and Finance Test where required.
- Minimum 6-years’ experience in financial management/accounting, and working with ERP systems
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) including data analysis as well as web based management systems.
- Experience in providing high quality, responsive client service
- Experience working with UN pooled funding mechanisms is a distinct advantage
- Language Requirements
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge of written and spoken French is strongly desired and a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset, especially French