Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Description of duties:
Under the supervision of the Coordinator, Global Finance, of the Global Service Centre and guidance of the Comptroller and Director of Finance, and working closely with the Global Finance Services Manager and Global Payroll Manager, other coordinators of units and Human Resources Managers/Officers and Budget and Finance Officers in the Centre and in the Regional Offices and at Headquarters, the incumbent is responsible for a team of finance professionals that carries out reporting, reconciliation and compliance in the global finance unit.
The reporting, compliance and reconciliations are for the following Global Finance activities: Supplier Management, Travel Transactions, Payments (Suppliers, Payroll and SHI), Personal (Staff Accounts) and related accounting. The Global Accounts Payable and Payroll functions are defined as critical business activities.
- The incumbent leads and manages the staff and resources in the Financial Reporting section of the Global Finance including planning, coordinating and implementing within established guidelines and in accordance with WHO's Regulations, Rules and Manual Provisions.
- Ensures existing internal controls are appropriately in place and ensures that proper monitoring mechanisms are in place and that they can be used to identify weaknesses and address them immediately.
- Periodically monitors the management of risks attributed to GFI processes and reports on any actions taken.
- In collaboration with Global Finance Services Manager and Payroll Manager, develops and proposes new procedures and guidelines in Global Finance and systematically tracks level of implementation of changes that drive operational efficiencies.
- Identifies gaps and bottlenecks in operating procedures and proposes changes in collaboration/consultation with Global Finance Services Manager and Payroll Manager and coordinates the revision and approval process; keeps clear archive of all GSC/GFI SOPs to ensure updated versions are accessible by users (serves as the custodian for GFI SOPs).
- Operates a robust system of oversight to ensure cases of non-compliance by end users to policies and procedures are identified and reported to facilitate corrective actions by Global Finance Services Manager and Global Payroll Manager. Tracks and reports on implementation of agreed corrective actions.
- Leads, contributes to complex and challenging business projects pertaining to compliance and reporting and collaborates with Global Finance Services Manager and Global Payroll Manager as needed on AP and Payroll processes in order to significantly enhance efficiency, business improvement, continuity, information and performance of Global Finance units.
- Manages reporting on GSC controlled accounts, related reconciliation activities within Global Finance and ensures monthly, accurate and timely submissions to HQ, Regions and various stakeholders. This includes providing clean, aged, reconciled Supplier balances, bank reconciliations, Accounts Payable Trial Balance, Personal Accounts and relevant general ledger accounts.
- Ensures integrity and consistency of data captured in ledgers with respect to transactions initiated by GSC/GFI Consolidates and distributes the GSC Finance Compliance reporting package on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis on volumes, trends, rejections, errors, Staff Accounts (Personal Accounts) and other exceptions to regional and HQ clients with clear actionable advice, and conducts regular follow up meetings with finance networks. The incumbent must ensure the financial management reports are prepared in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards and are user-friendly.
- Acts as focal point for Global Finance related matters with Internal and External Auditors and: i) responds to queries relating to reports on GSC controlled accounts; ii) coordinates with Global Finance Services Manager and Global Payroll Manager to formulate response on specific audit queries relating to specific AP and Payroll matters; iii) responsible for the coordination and monitoring of updates on implementation of open Audit recommendations within Global Finance; iv) Implements reconciliation and reporting related audit recommendations.
- Perform duties as assigned by the Coordinator, Global Finance-Back up for Coordinator, Global Finance, Global Finance Services Manager , Global Payroll Manager as required.
- Essential: University Degree from a recognized institution and Professional Accounting qualification such as CA, CPA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent.
- Desirable: Master Degree in Finance.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution.
- Excellent judgement and integrity.
- Ability to work under pressure/flexibility while meeting deadlines.
- Excellent leadership, management and organizational skills combined with the ability to produce innovation solutions and drive the team.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills to present proposals in a concise, clear and logical manner.
- Knowledge of an ERP system.
WHO mandatory competencies:
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- At least 7 years of recent and proven relevant experience in a large, complex, international organization.
- Relevant experience entails working at a management level in consolidations, financial reporting, reconciliations and/or compliance.
- At least 7 years of recent and proven experience managing a team.
- Experience working in a Shared Service Centre (SSC) at a management level.
- Familiarity with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English both written and spoken.