The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Cox’s Bazar has been home to one of the world’s most protracted refugee situations, with more than 20 years of camp and makeshift site settlement by a Muslim minority from Myanmar’s northern Rakhine State, known as Rohingya. Since the 1990’s, the Government of Bangladesh hosts 34,000 officially registered refugees in two camps in Cox’s Bazar. A further 300,000-500,000 Rohingya refugees, politically referred to as Undocumented Myanmar Nationals (UMNs) have been residing in poor conditions in neighboring Bangladeshi host communities, including some 77,100 in the two makeshift settlements adjacent to the official camps. Humanitarian partners estimate that the influx of new arrivals since August 2017 is likely to peak at 700,000-800,000.
Access to the refugee camps is critical to the humanitarian response where engineering works are undertaken as preventative measures and in preparation to react as required to maintain access. The works shall necessitate a multi-sectoral and multi-agency effort to ensure adequate coverage across all camps in Ukhia and Teknaf. It is proposed to establish a Site Maintenance and Engineering Project Office comprising the key stakeholders involved in the construction and use of the camp roads, namely IOM, UNHCR, and WFP.
The Project will undertake the following four principal activities:
- Clearing and strengthening primary drainage channels,
- Maintaining vehicular access via maintenance, emergency repair and rehabilitation,
- Materials supply, fabrication, and pre-positioning to facilitate rapid response,
- Site preparation work.
The main purpose of this job is the design and management of database systems to support the work of the Site Maintenance Engineering Project and WFP Engineering as required.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Data Analysis and Reports (DAR) officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Design of management of database systems to support the work of the Site Maintenance Engineering Project and WFP Engineering as required.
- Provide a full range of support services including follow-up actions, resolution of issues and unforeseen situations, for the effective functioning of the database front and back end.
- Supporting project manager and engineers in providing outputs for meetings/presentations, with research, analysis and data visualization.
- Manage project communications to ensure priorities and urgent matters are identified and addressed, and that consistent high standards are maintained.
- Provide regular information to reports officers, communications colleagues and management, as required, for inclusion in internal and external reports and other content creation.
- Coordinate and oversee the maintenance of records and databases, to ensure information is well organized and readily available for staff to enable informed decision-making and action planning by senior stakeholders.
- Define data validation requirements including edit checks, dynamics, derivations and custom functions.
- Ensure proper documentation and approval of specifications and testing and assist with the creation of standard and custom reports using relevant report tools.
- Manage team of field-based database enumerators and act as their primary contact and conduit for dissemination of relevant information to DAR on a regular basis.
- Assist project and supply chain managers with the development of SOPs related to roll out, implementation, data entry and management, reporting, reconciliation and verification processes.
- Any other tasks as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: At lease Bachelor’s Degree in information management, business or another relevant field
- Language: Excellent written and oral/communications skills in both English and Bangla
- Experience: At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Access DB, SQL, HTML programming skills
- Others: Tableau, SharePoint, FMS, Microsoft Office Suite, Trello etc.