OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health Department (EIH) is responsible for leading the Organization into the modern era of information for health and aims to strengthen evidence-based decision-making through the use of improved data management, analysis, forecasting and scenario setting, using cutting edge information technology. EIH is responsible for developing models, norms and standards for strengthening governance mechanisms for information systems for health, in line with the Organization's policies and strategies for integrated and interoperable systems. The Department also coordinates the monitoring and measurement of the impact indicators of the Organization’s Strategic Plan and the health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and measurement of inequity and inequality in health. The Department gathers and provides strategic information and intelligence to develop and support the implementation of evidence-based policies and sound decisions on public health matters in collaboration with all Pan American Sanitary Bureau (PASB) entities, Member States and partners. EIH coordinates internal PASB data-driven and evidence-based efforts and will collaborate with WHO and other UN and Inter-American system agencies to support the needs of Member States and the Secretariat in the areas under its responsibility.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Under the direct supervision of the Director, Evidence and Intelligence for action in Health (EIH), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Identify the entity’s present and future Technical Information System needs for the strengthening of its technical cooperation and information sharing with other technical units and Member States;
- Collaborate and contribute to the development and implementation of regional, national, and subnational health information systems (IS4H) and ICT tools, for optimizing the generation, identification, collection, processing, storage, and dissemination of quality data and strategic information for policy and decision-making in public health;
- Support technical cooperation programs/strategies to strengthen national capacities in the Region for the design and/or implementation, and evaluation of IS4H;
- Analyze information technology alternatives and advocate appropriate use of technology to develop various complex technical information subsystems to enable their integration with existing health information systems;
- Perform project management activities related to the development and maintenance of the core health data initiative and other technical health information subsystems, including all phases of development, preliminary planning, design of feasibility studies, estimating and scheduling resources, seeking the appropriate processes and methodologies and ensuring that these are followed;
- Execute software analysis activities using a client/server model, object-oriented technology and component-bases development for such systems;
- Manage and design processes for the data model and improve the suitability of web-based user interfaces with the system; ensure the use of the current data sets utilizing hypermedia, database design, data warehousing, business process re-engineering and online analytical process (OLAP) to enhance data delivery;
- Develop quality assurance plans with defect tracking, technical reviews, system testing and related support activities; using tools for automated software quality;
- Integrate and use complex technologies, including Web-based applications for the dissemination and processing of technical health information data;
- Prepare technical and user documentation for each subsystem of the Unit technical information health information data;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Essential: A bachelor’s degree in information science, systems engineering, computer science or a related field from a recognized university.
- Desirable: A master’s degree in one of these areas would be an asset.
- Essential: Seven years of combined national and international experience in a position related to the area of information systems and/or systems development, including data warehousing.
- Desirable: Work experience with an international or multinational organization would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve and build rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the team’s successes and shortcomings.
- Communication: Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Producing Results: Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Takes responsibility. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
- Setting an example: Works ethically to achieve individual work objectives under PAHO Regulation and Rules and the Standards of Conduct of the International Civil Service. Maintains confidentiality and treats sensitive information with discretion; ensures that policies and procedures are followed in accordance with the Organization’s professional, ethical and legal standards. When others behave in an unprofessional or unethical way, promotes appropriate standards and provides feedback in order to remedy the situation; escalates as necessary. Stands by own decisions and actions and accepts responsibility for them. Acts in an open and transparent manner when dealing with others; stands by own and team’s decisions and accepts responsibility for them. Acts to promote the Organization’s success.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Actively supports Organizational change initiatives and demonstrates personal commitment to them, including when faced with new demands; proposes workable solutions to challenging situations. Engages in positive responses to a changing environment and promotes workable solutions to achieve own and team’s results. Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or team’s work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives.
- Proven technical skills on methodologies in Information Systems Development and Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated practical experience in cloud-based solutions.
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience in relational database management systems and management and administration of databases, particularly Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL,and MS Access, as well as MIDDLEWARE ODBC, ADO and OLEDB.
- Technical expertise and skills in management of Internet Information Server (IIS).
- Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Languages: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
IT Skills: Demonstrated abilities and skills using cloud-based solutions, Windows operating systems at the server level, IIS, and Active Directory Services. Current versions of MS SQL and ODBC compliant databases, Integration and Reporting Services, data modeling, object-oriented design and implementation. Web Applications and Web Services. Business Intelligence and technical architectures. Design and implementation of reporting and analytical solutions.