International Rescue Committee, Kampala, Uganda
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
This position will be primarily responsible with assisting and facilitating the installation and configuration of IT infrastructure, staff training and operations of IT activities in IRC PlayMatters Regional Offices in Kampala. The IT Assistant will offer 1st and selected 2nd level support to the project an IRC Country Program IT team and work closely with the IT Manager, and on request with the Regional IT Director and the IRC Uganda country office to ensure proper ICT functioning and support.
Duties and Responsibilities
IT Support - Provide Level 1 and Level 2 Support
- Work with end-users or IT Manager (or Service Desk) on resolving Level 1 issues in PlayMatters project office and IRC Uganda country office in Kampala.
- Resolve or escalate Level 2 and Level 3 issues on request to appropriate internal or external resource (IT Manager, IHUB) as necessary.
- Liaise with various in country Internet Service Providers (ISP) for the purpose of improving the system and resolving any breakdown in internet services.
- Ensure that antivirus programs on each machine are updated regularly.
- Work with Helpdesk to create email addresses, update mailing lists, and keep proper tracking of email addresses.
Installation & Configuration and Maintenance
- Offer systems administrative support to the Servers, Windows server 2016 operating system, Domain and essential network services.
- Desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals, using IRC standard Windows 7/10 operating system image.
- Local Area Network, wireless network, peer-to-peer or client server architecture, as appropriate.
- Provide monitoring reports with information on condition of network and ISPs to the IT Manager to assist with timely upgrades and necessary changes
- Ensure SUN 4.4.2 and QA BI is properly installed and functional on all Finance departmental computers in the office.
Maintenance, Repair & Security
- Perform preventative maintenance on all PlayMatters and IRC country office computers and network resources.
- Ensure that server backup is done on regular basis and that staff are reminded to do back up before their computers are sent out for repairs. Ensure data security backups and protection of the LAN against data corruption.
- Work with the IT Manager to update and maintain network documentation to include but not limited to IP address, Network and Server system access, email creation systems, upgrades and changes to original network, etc.
- Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
- Closely collaborate with International and HQ IT team on helpdesk, connectivity and other in country and global IRC IT projects.
- Provide technical input and support to the Kampala offices Local Area Network. Ensure proper record keeping of breakdowns, problems and maintenance carried out.
- Any other IT related tasks assigned by the Deputy Director in consultation with the IT Manager or Regional IT team to accomplish the overall organizational goals.
Training, Evaluation, and Testing
- Provide regular user and support staff training, including training on basic care and maintenance of computers and equipment for users which include training IRC staff and guests on the safe handling and general operation of computers and accessories and ensure that all IRC staff are in compliance with IT policies and procedures
- Research and suggest new technology as required by Regional and HQ IT.
- Prepare and submit regular weekly, monthly and trip reports that provide sufficient detail for HQ to understand the project and country office’s computer environment, needs, IT staff availability and skill levels and future plans.
IT Asset Management
- Keep an up-to-date ICT asset register by performing monthly asset verifications for all IT assets in the Yumbe and Bidibidi offices including Software & licenses (Box, WebEx and Cyberoam FWs, Merakis).
- Create and maintain IRC computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
Policies and Protocols
- Implement available plans for repair of dysfunctional laptops, desktop computers, photocopiers, printers, etc.
- Implement appropriate protocols for regular maintenance of all IRC computer related equipment.
- Implement local IT Policy for IRC Uganda in coordination with IT Manager, Deputy Director -PlayMatters project and Regional IT support team.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to:Deputy Director PlayMatters Project
- Indirect Reporting: IRC Ug. IT Manager
- Other Internal and/or external contacts
- Internal: All departments and users
- External: IT equipment suppliers/vendors, internet service providers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or an equivalent, or equivalent technical work experience.
- 1-2 years of IT Support
- CCNA course desired, MCSE or equivalent experience is a plus.
- At least 2 years of experience in IT profession
- Experience installing, configuring and managing both wired and wireless LAN, and firewalls.
- Computer imaging skills required.
- Outlook experience required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required.
- Customer/Client service experience
- Able to work independently within a team environment
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds from floor to a standard desktop.