OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences (SC) and the direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office for Central Africa in Yaounde, Cameroun, the incumbent will participate in the identification of needs, develop, plan, organize, implement, monitor and evaluate as well as provide technical support for UNESCO’s programmes and activities carried out under the Major Programme II – Natural Science (Ecological and Earth Sciences,Water sciences, Science Policy and capacity building) in the 10 countries covered by the Office.
The incumbent will contribute to the coordination of UNESCO’s projects and programmes and substantive aspects of activities in the field of UNESCO’s Natural Sciences (e.g biodiversity conservation; water management; Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) policy development; climate change mitigation/adaptation stratgeies, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and disaster risk reduction).
The incumbent will work within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategy (C/4), the Programme and Budget (C/5) and the global 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development and the African Union Agenda 2063. S/he will also be responsible for ensuring integration of the Natural Sciences in the UN joint programmes and programming and working collaboratively with other United Nations agencies to ensure UNESCO’s participation in strategic exercises organized by the UNCT (CCA, UNSDCSF etc.,) in the countries covered by the office.
The incumbent shall in particular:
- Contribute to the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of the programme and activities related to UNESCO’s Natural Sciences Sector funded under Regular and Extra Budgetary resources; and also participate in the building of human and institutional capacities for the different Natural Science programme activites in the region.
- Provide advisory services, technical assistance, plan, execute and evaluate UNESCO’s programme activities for the advancement and application of Natural Sciences in the Member States within the region.
- Maintain close contacts with the concerned regional/national/local authorities and contribute to the development of national science policies. In this context, the incumbent will also maintain and ensure relations with relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Support the development and implementation of science related programmes and activities in partnership with the the Central African Community.
- Establish, develop and maintain links with National Commissions, science-related Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, tertiary education as well as research and development (R&D) institutions.
- Identify, design and implement extrabudgetary projects to reinforce the office’s Regular Programme activities and contribute to resource mobilization in support of interdisciplinary programme activities in Natural Sciences, for the implementation of national and/or regional strategies for sustainable development in the Central African region.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in the field of Natural Sciences, environment, hydrology or other relevant field of the Natural Sciences.
- A minimum of four years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in the field of Natural Science, of which preferably two years acquired at international level.
- Experience in planning, designing, managing, implementing and evaluating programmes and projects related to the field of Natural Sciences.
- Experience in fundraising and resource mobilization.
- Proven resource mobilization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbally and in writing).
- Ability to build and maintain working relations with national/local authorities, cultural institution and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Discretion and maturity of judgement.
- Good knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.)…
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other.