International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria
Closing Date for Applications:
The Department of Management (MT) provides a ‘platform of services’ that serves as a foundation for the successful delivery of the IAEA’s scientific and technical programmes. Its mission statement is as follows: “MT is a partner and a business enabler that champions change and efficiency, leveraging a common purpose”.
One of the main functions assigned to the IAEA by its Statute is to foster the exchange of scientific and technical information and the dissemination of knowledge in the nuclear field among Member States. To facilitate the effective exchange and dissemination of information relevant to the IAEA's work and mandate, the Division of Conference and Document Services coordinates and supports the implementation of these activities for its users and clients, both internal and external, by organizing meetings and conferences, issuing documents in the six official IAEA languages, i.e. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish, and editing, printing and distributing publications.The English Translation Section is one of six Translation Sections in the Division providing translations of a broad range of documents and publications. It is responsible for translating documents into English and preparing summary records of Agency meetings. High quality translations and records are required and often short deadlines are involved.
- As a member of a team led by the Section Head, the Translation Assistant processes, formats, incorporates changes in and proofreads documents translated into English. The Translation Assistant is responsible for coordinating the final quality control of technically complex and sensitive texts, ensuring their accuracy and completeness.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Receive, log, deliver and archive translation jobs according to the classification category.
- Proofread and finalize highly sensitive and technically complex texts in English in accordance with established quality control guidelines, ensuring accuracy and consistency by checking spelling, punctuation, grammar, syntax and completeness. Provide guidance to support staff in processing documents and perform final quality control as necessary.
- Prepare texts for translation using computer-assisted translation (CAT) software. After translation, incorporate changes in and format English texts, including those containing tables, charts, figures, diagrams and references, then check them to ensure that they accurately reflect the original text.
- Compile, process and dispatch the official records of the meetings of the IAEA Policy-Making Organs, create the related PDF files for uploading on the IAEA's website and draft any corrigenda.
- Under the supervision of the Section Head, coordinate on- and off-site work to ensure the efficient and timely processing of documents.
- Assist in identifying and addressing software-related problems.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Completed Secondary education.
- Minimum of five years of relevant working experience.
- Perfect command of English as mother tongue or principal language of education. Knowledge of another official IAEA language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish or Russian) or German an asset.
- Successful completion of the English Translation Sections language and text processing tests.
- English language test (level 1) to IAEA standard.