International Organization for Migration, Nairobi, Kenya
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme and Policy development of IOM Kenya and the direct supervision of the Mission Support and Innovation Unit, the incumbent will support the planning, coordinating and monitoring the media and communications activities of the Country Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support and provide guidance to the Communications Team in close coordination with the Head of Mission Support and Innovation Unit.
- Assist in the development and implementation of visibility and communications activities for the Country Office according to the organization’s branding guidelines.
- Provide written inputs for the development of internal C4D and PI capacity and provide basic technical guidance to external counterparts as required. Support the design and implementation of integrated communication campaigns, events, workshops and seminars of different scales.
- Collect PI materials (photographs, videos, migrant stories) that highlight the actions and results of the project. Assist in the development media-orientated information and communication products.
- Draft press releases, press briefing notes, newsletters, speeches, flash updates and other media-focused materials.
- Participate in stakeholder mapping and analysis to identify influencers and opinion leaders in society - including among the returnees. Suggest appropriate information and communication materials for use in different platforms to different project teams.
- Maintain strong contacts with media practitioners for coordinating media coverage of all important events.
- Facilitate the smooth operations of Digital Media platforms. Collect, collate and update project information for on-line publication, including the Country Office’s social media platforms.
- Liaise with IOM Regional Offices Nairobi, and Headquarters (HQ), in relation to the Country Office’s PI activities. Coordinate final review, editing and formatting for all Country Office publications, in liaison with HQ PUB and/or local editors and publishers.
- Based on specific instructions, draft, collate and contribute to the development and monitoring of the Communication, Awareness Raising and Visibility Strategy and corresponding Action Plan for specific programmes and projects.
- Participate in the delivery PI related trainings- capacity building activities to junior programme staff
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Business Administration, Political or Social Science, English, Mass Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience and knowledge in information, media management, social media platforms, campaign development, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience in managing communications projects for international organizations and/or donor agencies;
- Experience in writing and editing public information;
- Good knowledge and experience of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures is an advantage;
- Experience preparing and executing media and development communications strategies; and,
- Experience in creative visual or media design is an advantage.
- Knowledge of migration trends and issues in Kenya and East and Horn of Africa is an advantage;
- Excellent verbal communication and strong writing skill, especially in English required;
- Public speaking skill and experience is an advantage;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and fluent Swahili;
- Good command of photography, script writing, and video production/editing is required;
- Creative and innovative thinker and planner;
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time efficiently;
- Self-motivated and self-directed;
- Ability to work independently or as an active member of a team;
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite; Knowledge of Adobe in design an advantage;
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with all levels of management; and,
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.