Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Cross-Cutting Global & Regional Financing Service, Field Operations Finance Division (FOFD), Office of Programme Planning Finance and Budget (OPPFB), Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The Finance and Budget Assistant will report to the Chief of Service.
The Field Operations Finance Division supports the Controller in exercising accountability for the financial resources made available by the Member States for peacekeeping operations and special political missions, with a currently approved annual budget of approximately US$6 billion. The Division is committed to an ongoing change process to ensure the highest effectiveness and efficiency standards in budget preparation and presentation including the mainstreaming of results-based budgeting. The working environment of peacekeeping operations is dynamic, and the team is committed to meeting the corresponding demands. The main partners of the Division are the peacekeeping operations, the Department of Peace Operations, the Department of Operational Support, the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, the legislative bodies and troop- and uniformed police- contributing countries.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Chief of Service and within delegated authority, the Finance and Budget Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assists in the preparation of supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Supports the Finance/Budget Officers(s) in extracting information and generating expenditure reports from computerized information system databases; assists in preliminary analyses of the extracted information and the reports generated, and highlights areas of concern for the attention of the Finance/Budget Officer(s).
- Assists in the development of resource requirements for budget submissions and in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
- Researches/compiles data and other information required by the Finance Budget Officer(s) in the review and analysis of relevant proposals.
- Consolidates data and provides support to Finance/Budget Officer(s) with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Assists the Finance/Budget Officer(s) in the preparation/finalization of budget performance reports, performing preliminary analysis of variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Assists in drafting the initial versions of the Financial Aspects section of the Secretary-General's reports to the Security Council, draft resolutions and Reports of the Fifth Committee for peacekeeping operations and the Annotated Agenda for peacekeeping items.
- Assists the Finance/Budget Officer(s) with data input in the budget instructions for peacekeeping operations.
- Assists in the financial backstopping of trust funds, including monitoring the status of voluntary contributions, generating expenditure reports from Umoja and monitoring reporting requirements by donors.
- Assists the Finance/Budget Officer(s) in the issuance of allotments and related staffing table authorizations.
- Verifies accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
- Reviews draft reports, verifying overall accuracy, consistency and uniformity in the presentation, and ensuring comprehensiveness and compliance with the format prescribed by the Editorial and Documents control of GACM; cross-checks consistency of figures in tables with the text of the reports, and verifies references to other reports and documents, bringing errors to the attention of the Finance/Budget Officers(s) concerned; ensures that all necessary corrections are incorporated in the reports; co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Drafts routine correspondence with respect to enquiries related to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Maintains and keep up-to-date files.
- Provides administrative support to the Head of the organizational unit and/or Finance/Budget Officer(s), as required.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in administrative services, finance, budget or human resources is required.
- Experience in the preparation of official correspondence/reports, data extraction/analysis, and preparation of presentations using Microsoft (Word, Excel, Power Point) applications is required.
- Experience with budget formulation is desirable.
- Experience in using enterprise resource planning system (SAP or similar financial system) and human resources management system is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.